Field Recreation Advisory Association Board Meeting, June 3, 2019
In Attendance: Sally Watson, Paulina O’ Brien, Flint Palmer, Kathryn Cameron, Greg Dowman
Excused: Karen Schmidt, Charisse D’hamers, Sonya Leenders
1. Calendar Review
Sally away June 12 to 19 (?)
Town Hall Meeting Monday, June 24, 2019: 7:00 pm
Kathryn away August 15 to 24
FRAA Board Meeting Monday, September 9, 2019
Field Utility Board Wednesday September 18, 2019
Town Hall Meeting Monday, September 30, 2019
2. Events Recap
RCMP Presentation – Thanks for organizing the presentation Sonya.
Spring Fling – Thanks to Paulina and Flint for organizing a very excellent and fun event! Thank you Connor, Logan and Flint for the DJ extravaganza! Thank you bar shift and clean-up volunteers!
3. Upcoming Events
Clean-Up Work Party, June 10, 2019 7:30 pm
Yoho National Park and Field Community Spring Clean-Up, Wednesday June 12, 2019, 9:30 am with bbq lunch at noon, hosted by Parks Canada and Friends of Yoho.
Spring Bins in parking lot behind Truffle Pigs June 11 to 24, 2019
Garage Sale Saturday, June 15, 2019 10 am to 4 pm
Commemoration Ceremony, Natural Bridge, June 22, 2019
Canada Day Monday, July 1, 2109, 8:30 to sundown!
Field Summer Music Festival Sunday, July 7, 2019
4. Spring/Summer Programs at the Community Hall
HIIT – Sundays, 6:30 pm to 7:30 pm, free admission, and Thursdays, 6:45 pm to 7:45 pm, $12 Drop-in fee
Just Breathe Yoga Wednesday, 6:00 pm to 7:15 pm from June 5, 2019 to July 17, 2019 $12 Drop-in Fee or $70 for all seven sessions
Shake It Up with Paulina Fridays, starting June 7, 2019, by donation
Pickleball on the paved surface behind the Community Hall
Friends of Yoho Historic Walking Tour of Field, Tuesdays and Thursday at 8:00 pm starting July 2, 2019 to September 12, 2019
5. Hall Rentals
June 4 – Parks Canada
June 11, 12 – Parks Canada
June 21, 22, 23 – Jill Drader
July 4, 5 – Parks Canada (tentative)
July 16 – Parks Canada
August 16, 17, 18 – Erin Evans
October 18, 19, 20 – Jill Drader
November 8, 9, 10 – Jill Drader
6. Constitution Update – Tabled to next meeting
7. St. Joseph Project
Reviewing proposed plan revisions and Alasdair’s comments and recommendations.
No word yet on the Built Heritage grant application for $300,000 submitted March 15, 2019. Expect to hear from the committee soon.
8. Online training for Volunteers with Victim Services
Kathryn to contact Nuala Wolfe, RCMP Victim Services, for details on how to initiate the training.
9. Amber Church – Field Reunion Question
Ian Church, Amber’s Dad, was Superintendent of Yoho National Park for several years. He died about 2 years ago. His family plans to come to Yoho in September 2019 for a visit, and may host an event to bring people together. Kathryn to communicate with Amber re community hall availability and options.
10. Field Emergency Plan Update
Protocols for major vehicle incident with mass casualties are already in place and most responders at the meeting feel they use the guidelines/protocols for every incident. Researching transportation options in area in event large group of people need to be moved to a safer location.
Next meeting in the fall.
11. Hall Repairs: Flint to ask Joe for timeline to do the work.
Change room outside exit door
Replace shingles on shed roof
Shelves in kitchen
Replace broken window in change room
12. Banff Fire and Safety (BFS) Recommendation & Conversation with Field Fire and Rescue (FFR)
Following the annual inspection, BFS recommended that the FRAA install a tie-in feature to communicate with the Fire hall if a fire starts at the community hall. Initial installation cost is around $1700 with an annual monitoring fee of $700 to $800. Field Fire and Rescue has offered to pay installation costs for the system. The FRAA Board doesn’t feel that it’s a necessary function at this time. Further conversation with FFR has identified new nets at each end of the rink and support poles as a potential project to work on together.
13. Town Hall Meeting Agenda
Parks Canada Reports
Friends of Yoho
Field Fire and Rescue
14. Parks Canada: Honorarium and Insurance
Honorarium has been received. Kathryn to work on formula for dispersing Honorarium to Board members based on meeting attendance, volunteer hours to organize events, and operational work.
Insurance has been paid.
15. Round table
- Date for community bins: Flint to talk to Hollie.
- Water station for Field Summer Music Festival: Board has opted for potable water hose from the tap in the janitor’s room to an outside water dispensing system rather than to install a permanent outside water tap on the outside of the Community Hall.
- Parks Canada has asked to use tables and chairs from the Community Hall for a Commemoration Ceremony at the Natural Bridge on June 22, 2019. New panels that explain the history of immigration detainees at Camp Otter during World War I will be unveiled at the ceremony. Board approved.
- Policy discussion about events that we co-host with performers, DJs, etc. FRAA takes the bar, and co-hosts take the door. Events we collaborated on this year have confirmed this model works.
Issues with our former website host. Chris moved us to a new host, and ensuring systems work.