Skating at the rink is on!

Thanks to all the volunteers for their hard work in this cold weather to flood the rink, and usher in winter!

Field Town Hall Meeting and FRAA Annual General Meeting November 14, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting and FRAA Annual General Meeting November 14, 2016

In Attendance: Patrick Cais, Sophie Cais, Ryan Cameron, Bruce Bembridge, Barbara McNeill, Marilyn Toulouse, Katherine MacNeill, Christine, Krista Callen, Karla Gaffney, Lloyd Lafrance, Helen Barry, Desneige Meyer, Kim Chapman, Sebastian Harbottle, Jeremy Schmidt, Kathryn Cameron, Claudia Harding, Sally Watson.

  1. FRAA/FCC Report – Kathryn Cameron

Welcome, everyone, to the Annual General Meeting of the Field Recreation and Advisory Association.

We are without official Parks Canada presence tonight. Townsite Manager Ellen Francis is on medical leave until December 23. Marthe Boissonault will act in the position until Ellen’s return. She accepted the assignment on Thursday November 10, 2016 and has not had time to prepare answers to our questions from the last regular meeting of the FRAA/FCC (the Field Utility Board meeting scheduled for November 4 was cancelled by Parks Canada). Marthe has assured me that we will have answers at the next Town Hall Meeting, to be scheduled in January once the new Board of Directors sets meeting dates for the new term.

A heartfelt Thank You to Craig Chapman, Sally Watson, Claudia Harding, Jeremy Schmidt, Kim Chapman, Karen Schmidt, Kat MacNeill, Mike Le Grice, Kathryn Cameron, Tyra Cameron and Tanje Baker – the outgoing Board of Directors of the FRAA. Some are standing for election to fill another term. To our fellow volunteers who are not planning to be formal volunteers, thank you for applying for grants, managing projects, organizing and putting on events, keeping track of our finances and always boosting the community of Field.

To be more specific, this is what the FRAA accomplished in the past year.

We received grants of $20,000 from Columbia Basin Trust for:

  • new fire panel, alarm system and fire extinguishers;
  • security camera system;
  • six more acoustic baffles
  • sound system for the Community Hall and a portable sound system;
  • video projector;
  • Wi-Fi router;
  • project to convert all lights in the hall to LED – thank you Matt Morrison who volunteered to do the installations.

The FRAA share of these projects was $9,500.

We received a donation from the Friends of Yoho, and have used some of that money to purchase a new fridge. The rest of the donation will be used to purchase a new stove. Sally continues to research options.

We received a new bar fridge from Coca Cola, at no cost, on the promise that we will order product from the company.

We hosted functions:

  • Paul Charbonneau’s Memorial Service;
  • Christmas Pot Luck Supper and Skate With Santa;
  • 39th Annual Yoho Blow winter celebration;
  • Easter Pot Luck Brunch and Bunny Hop;
  • Spring Fling
  • Celebrating the Life of One of Canada’s Smallest Schools;
  • Canada Day Parade and Celebrations in concert with BC Ambulance Service and Field Fire and Rescue

Significant events happened since our last Annual General Meeting:

  • Kudos to Kicking Horse Ski Club for the excellent track setting and trail work done last winter, most notably the re-establishment of Monarch Trail and regular grooming of the Yoho Valley Road. It was an awesome winter offering and we’re looking forward to doing it all again this winter – when winter happens;
  • Yoho Trading Post was closed last winter and the building boarded up;
  • We received a response to our letter to the Minister of the Environment requesting that Field Visitor Centre be open in winter again. There is no change to the edicts of Budget 2012 that identified Yoho National Park as a medium use National Park;
  • Met with CP Rail, Parks Canada and Columbia Shuswap Regional District to discuss land use, train horns, length of trains, extended crossing closures for crew changes, Field Community Plan. One change has been implemented: some crew changes take place at the crossing which reduces the length of time the crossing is closed in some instances;
  • Rocky Mountain School District voted to close Field Elementary School, effective June 30, 2016. Not clear what will happen to the playground. The swings have been removed from the frame but the Blue Imp playground structure is still in place;
  • Townsite Manager Ellen Francis requested mediation to develop a productive working relationship with the community. Barbara McNeil continues to research our organization and function, and help clarify the role of FRAA;
  • FRAA applied for funding to install an electric car charge station in Field, as a potential 2017 legacy project, but the grant was not approved;
  • Two babies were born – Noa Morrison and Sebastian Harbottle;
  • Two young adult residents graduated from Golden Secondary School – Naomi Lenstra and Steven Young;
  • Fire Underwriters representative visited the community in June to assess our protection program and facilities. A report is anticipated in January 2017. It may impact fire insurance premiums for residents;
  • There was an increase in solid waste costs;
  • More preparation in 2016 construction season for twinning the TransCanada Highway from the BC Alberta Border to the outlet of Wapta Lake at the east end of Yoho National Parks, and from the former Misko Viewpoint to Finn Creek in the west end of the park. This places us between two big highway construction projects with ensuing delays, probably for a few years into the future;
  • Mount Dennis Slope Stabilization Project continues to be monitored; catastrophic impact not seen by Parks Canada as so dire as indicated in the June 2014 report;
  • Columbia Basin Trust representative visited community to encourage continued use of programs and resources available to promote social and economic well-being of community;
  • East Link pulled cable TV services and infrastructure from the community in September. Shaw Direct working on options for people who live in satellite dead zone to provide satellite TV service;
  • CP Rail started work on the catchment basin at the bottom of Stephen Creek to reduce sediment build-up in the culverts under the tracks over the creek;
  • Two former residents and totally awesome people died in 2016: Jacquie Hunter – Park Interpreter, mother, Friend of Yoho, member of the Field Arts Council and overall fun-loving wonderful person; and, Ian Church – Park Superintendent, father, visionary environmentalist, member of Field Fire and Rescue, K-Car pilot who sometimes obeyed the speed limit, and overall decent and generous person. We offer condolences to their families, and gratitude for the life they both brought to our village.

What we’re looking at for the next term:

  • Community Plan Review, a process intended to be done every five years and anticipated for 2016 but not started yet;
  • Catholic Church – the sale has fallen through. Residents have expressed sadness at the prospect of the church being demolished. Council has spoken to Bishop Corriveau to see what options are possible;
  • Canada turns 150 years old in 2017 – celebrations will dovetail with our traditional events during the Yoho Blow and Canada Day;
  • Movie nights, yoga classes and cooking classes, a weekend yoga workshop in the spring open to residents and out of town participants, Easter Pot Luck Brunch and Bunny Hop and Spring Fling;
  • Banff Fire and Safety completes frame around the alarm panel;
  • Environmental assessment results on using milled asphalt in community;
  • Update our website and Facebook page on a regular basis – if social media can work for Donald Trump so effectively it should work for us too;
  • Renewed relationship with Parks Canada through mediation process, communication and Parks Canada follow through on commitments to meet to discuss mutually important items and processes.

Upcoming Events:

  • November 23 – Gravel Bed Rivers Presentation at Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies in Banff, 7:00 pm, $10 admission, jointly hosted by Y2Y
  • December 18 – Christmas Pot Luck and Skate with Santa at the Community Hall;
  • December 22 – Christmas Concert at Field Elementary School (performers, start your engines!);
  • December 31 – 2017 Fireworks;
  • February 3, 4 and 5 – Yoho Blow Winter Festival 40th Anniversary;
  • February 16 – Kicking Horse Ski Club 30th Anniversary Celebration at Emerald Lake Lodge

Summary

The health and success of the community of Field is tied directly to Yoho National Park. Residents of Field hold up their side of the social contract living in a National Park townsite. We welcome visitors, provide stellar services, host awesome events, get together, support each other and enjoy a truly enviable lifestyle. We have a beautiful, useful asset – the community hall. We have a population of less than 150 people, and accomplish many good things. This report only covers the accomplishments of the FRAA; it doesn’t cover the many contributions of the Friends of Yoho, Field Fire and Rescue, BC Ambulance Service and Kicking Horse Ski Club – and there’s plenty of crossover in volunteer commitment to all the Not for Profit organizations in the community. Residents of Field can’t sustain this community without Parks Canada presence in a reliable and supportive relationship.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Sally Watson

FRAA Statement of Accounts as of November 9, 2016 presented. Motion to approve as presented by Claudia Harding; seconded by Jeremy Schmidt.

FRAA Annual Financial Statement August 6, 2015 to August 5, 2016 presented. Motion to approve as presented by Claudia Harding, seconded by Jeremy Schmidt.

Financial Reports attached to the email and posted on the bulletin board inside the Post Office.

  1. Barbara McNeil – Report on Mediation Process

As a mediator and facilitator has worked with private organizations, municipalities, and oil and gas companies. Received a request last spring from Townsite Manager Ellen Francis to mediate tension in her relationship with community council. Barbara has collected information by talking to people, attending meetings and researching documents that define the relationship. Goal is to create a defined, workable and purposeful relationship. Ongoing process. Next steps proposed: establish working group with two representative from each of FRAA and Parks Canada; identify the issues that need to be clarified; gather perspectives; determine course of actions; implement plan.

Kim: Parks Canada asked for this process but is not even present at the Town Hall Meeting. They need to show up.

Karla: Can residents provide insights without going through Council or Parks Canada? Can we talk to you directly?

Barbara: Probably best to present through working group.

  1. Field Fire & Rescue Department – Claudia Harding

It’s been a quiet month, no accidents, weather has been good, no snow. One new probationary member: Desneige Meyer, and one returning member: Sierra Sullivan. FFR always welcomes new recruits. Congratulation to Sophie Cais on successful completion of a course on operating the pump truck – received special mention from instructor. Three members are doing Hazardous Material training in Golden. Seven members completed First Responder course with Golden Fire and Rescue, offered in Field; participants are qualified to attend to First Aid calls when BC Ambulance not available.

      5. Round Table

  1. Patrick Cais: Just for information, Canada Post has requested Parks Canada to install a No Parking sign in the area above Luc Blanchette’s lot on Kicking Horse Avenue so the mail truck can navigate the turn down on to Wall Street in the summer. Parking on both sides of Kicking Horse Avenue at that location makes it very hard for the mail truck to do the afternoon delivery/pick up.
  1. Lloyd Lafrance would like to see the speed limit posted on Stephen Avenue to reduce speeding on the route. Also suggested that One Way signs be installed at all entrances to Stephen Avenue. Many visitors use Stephen Avenue as a two-way thoroughfare.
  1. Sally Watson reported that the Highway Service Centre has installed winter markers to guide the snowplough operators, and inform that the stop sign by the hostel on Wall Street will soon be taken out for the winter. Reminder to drivers to stop at all stop signs.
  1. Karen Schmidt recommends that a yield sign be posted at the intersection of Kicking Horse Avenue and Brook Lane. The fence around the Cathedral staff house property has created a blind corner. Drivers traveling downhill have the right of way, but drivers on Kicking Horse need a reminder to be cautious at that intersection.

       6. Election

FRAA will operate as one Board of Directors with assigned roles and responsibilities as outlined in our Constitution. We have nomination papers for nine positions with one outstanding nomination.

Welcome to the new Board of Directors, all recognized by acclamation:

Sally Watson, Claudia Harding, Karen Schmidt, Krista Callen, Kathryn Cameron, Desneige Meyer, Katherine MacNeill, Sophie Cais, and Michael Le Grice.

First Meeting of the new Board: Monday, November 21, 2016 to determine roles, meeting dates, event dates and set goals for the next term.

Meeting adjourned at 8:20 pm.

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regular Meeting October 24, 2016

field-recreation-and-advisory-association-and-field-community-council-regular-meeting-october-24-2016

Field Town Hall Meeting October 3, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting October 3, 2016

In Attendance: Ellen Francis, Alex Goatcher, Hélène Cassista, John Schlichting, Karla Gaffney, Betty Watson, Barbara McNeil, Sophie Cais, Ryan Cameron, Travis Wert, Michael Vanderveen, Kathryn Cameron, Kim Chapman, Claudia Harding, Sebastian Harbottle, Jeremy Schmidt, Helen Barry

Excused: Sally Watson, Craig Chapman, Tyra Cameron, Kat MacNeill, Karen Schmidt, Mike Legrice, Tanje Baker

  1. FRAA/FCC Report – Kathryn Cameron
  • Welcome to baby Sebastian Harbottle born August 8, 2016, and congratulations to Jamie, Claudia and Mikayla on your newest family member!
  • Canada Day Event: Great work by volunteers with BC Ambulance Service (pancake breakfast), FRAA (parade) and Field Fire and Rescue (barbeque at Yoho VRC pond). Final report submitted to Canadian Heritage mid-August, including event photos. The FRAA sponsored a Water Balloon Clean Up Contest, and awarded Super Soakers to the six participants. There are still remnants of water balloons along the parade route – don’t hesitate to pick them up when you see them.
  • Thank you from RCMP Victim Services in Golden for community support to the family and emergency services personnel when a child fell into the Yoho River at Takakkaw Falls the evening of July 8. We opened the Community Hall to the group, and provided blankets, sleeping bags and sleeping mats for their comfort during the initial stage of the search. The family expressed deep gratitude to the community of Field, especially to the two families who supplied dry clothing and footwear for two other children in the group who were rescued from the river. We offer condolences to the family in the death of their son.
  • Community Hall Update: Thank you to the people who came to the Work Party on September 19. Our new Sub Zero fridge was installed and the old fridge removed, major clean up in the kitchen, new bar fridge stocked. Cost of the new fridge covered by donation from the Friends of Yoho Pasta Supper in 2015. The remainder of the Friends’ donation will be used to purchase a new stove. Thank you again to the Friends of Yoho for their generosity.
  • Canada 150 Celebrations: Will dovetail with local anniversaries – Yoho Blow 40th, Friends of Yoho 30th, Kicking Horse Ski Club 30th. FRAA plans to apply for a Restricted Activity Permit for fireworks to ring in the New Year 2017.
  • Electric Car Recharge Station: Research ongoing.
  • East Link Cable Television Service: Contractors were in town to remove East Link Infrastructure in late September. Karla Gaffney working with Shaw to explore options in Field.
  • Mediation Process Requested by Ellen Francis: Welcome Barbara McNeil, and thank you for the time and energy you are investing to prepare for the mediation process. Barbara has attended the Field Recreation and Advisory Association/Field Community Council Regular Meeting (September 12) and the Field Utility Board and Liaison Meeting (September 21). This meeting rounds out the triumvirate of our meeting cycle that has normally taken place every two months.
  • MLA Norm MacDonald extends his appreciation to residents of Field for their support in his election for three terms to the BC Legislature. He will not run in the next provincial election in May 2017. He suggested finding out which organization is responsible for the playground in Parson.

Note: Alex Goatcher offered to stop in Parson on his way through the Columbia Valley this week. He sent photos showing the playground is owned and operated by the Columbia Shuswap Regional District (CSRD).

  • Field Elementary School: The first day of school was very quiet in Field this fall. The School District wants to remove the playground if the community is not able to assume responsibility for maintenance and insurance.
  • Coffee With Council: Informal opportunity September 17 to talk about what’s going on in the community was quite lovely. We’ll do it again.
  • Columbia Shuswap Regional District update: posted on bulletin board.
  • Rocky Mountain School District #6 will hold the first public consultation for their Draft Facilities Plan on October 4, 2016 7:00 pm at Golden Elementary School Kathryn to attend. The Draft Facilities Plan indicates the School District is in discussion with Parks Canada about the future of their lease and the two buildings (School and Teacherage). Confirmed by Ellen Francis.
  • Increase in Solid Waste Costs: To determine the increase in individual bills, compare the rate on your current bill to your previous bill. Residents understand that solid waste costs are fully paid by residents and businesses of Field, as legislated in the National Park Act.
  • Train Horns: Jeff Lahti found out that the Governing Body for the Village of Field (Parks Canada) can apply to Transport Canada for an exemption to cease the required four horn blasts (Long, Long, Short, Long) when a train will cross a federally regulated public railway crossing. Parks Canada has not received any written complaints about the numerous sound disruptions – day and night – caused by train horns. If the community wants action, residents need to put their concerns in writing to LLYKTownsites@pc.gc.ca
  • Scheduled Power Outage: Wednesday, October 19, 2016. BC Hydro will do upgrades to the Battery Storage Facility. There will be three 30 minutes outages that day – no battery backup during this work.
  • Annual General Meeting: November 14, 2016. Nomination forms will be available at the Post Office Monday, October 17. There are five positions available on the FRAA and five positions available on FCC. We have an excellent asset: Field Community Hall, and a really great community. Volunteers play critical roles in many organizations in Field, and are the best advocates/activists for education, safety, and community development. Interested in participating? Submit your nomination papers and join in the good work and fun with other committed residents.
  • Gravel Bed Rivers Presentation: November 23, 2016 at Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies in Banff, 7:00 pm, $10 admission, jointly hosted by Y2Y.
  1. Presentations

Solid Waste Presentation – Ellen Francis, Townsite Manager Parks Canada

A revised letter will be circulated to residents about the increase in solid waste costs, as requested by Field Community Council.

Council is concerned about:

  1. How the recycle bins are currently used: substantial number of wine and beer bottles are being put in the glass bin; paper and plastic are being put in the tin bin and vice versa;
  2. Large items dropped off by the garbage bins (i.e. mattresses, desks, old propane outdoor stoves), rather than taken to the CSRD landfill site in Golden, and;
  3. Are Yoho VRC solid waste costs included in the calculation of solid waste costs for the Village of Field?

For the system to function properly and to keep the community’s costs down, users need to put recyclable material in the appropriate bin, take refundable bottles and plastics to a depot, and take large items to the landfill. Ellen advised residents that the Town of Banff currently holds the contract to accept our recycle bin contents. For information on what is acceptable, please look at the Town Of Banff website: http://banff.ca/index.aspx?NID=407. To learn more about CSRD solid waste guidelines, please visit: http://www.csrd.bc.ca/services/solid-waste-recycling

Highway Operations Unit Winter Maintenance in the Village of Field – Michael Vanderveen

Handout distributed outlining service levels for winter road maintenance in the Field Unit, and specifically for the Village of Field. Copy attached with the minutes.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Tabled to AGM November 14, 2016
  1. RCMP Report – Sergeant Betty Watson
  • Watson took over responsibility for the Golden RCMP detachment in October 2015.
  • Criminal Code offenses in Field saw a minor increase from 3 reported offenses in 2015 to 5 reported offenses in 2016.
  • With improved cell phone coverage through Yoho National Park (cell tower in the Beaverfoot Valley and cell tower in Field) there has been a marked increase in the number of reports of unsafe drivers.
  • Golden Detachment now has a Traffic Analyst in the detachment; reduces length of road closures when there is a major incident to investigate.
  • Like many government departments the RCMP experience resource challenges. Currently understaffed, but anticipate the arrival of an experienced Corporal from Trail to fill a vacant position and new cadet to fill a Constable position very soon.
  • Thank you to Community for support offered to the family who lost their son to the Yoho River in July. Victim Services expressed gratitude for the compassionate response from Field. For more information about participating in RCMP Victim Services in Golden, we can contact Niela Wolf at the Golden Detachment Office.

Note: Thank you to the RCMP from the community of Field for leading the Canada Day parade this year, and the photo op offered to visitors to pose with members dressed in their iconic red serge uniforms!

  1. Parks Canada Reports

Townsite Manager – Ellen Francis

  • Residents can send comments to: LLYKTownsites@pc.gc.ca
  • Evaluation of supply/demand of public parking facilities (on-street and off-street). Staff with the Development Office is currently reviewing the provisions of the Field Community Plan (Amended 2010) and Land Use Directive (2010) to better understand the regulatory requirements that influence successful commercial and residential development in Field. The Field Unit is considering whether a formal analysis of current parking supply and projected demand under various redevelopment scenarios would be necessary in the near future. Any comments from FCC regarding the existing number, type(s) and condition of existing on-street stalls and off-street parking lots would be greatly appreciated (please identify priorities areas/items), as well as recommendations about the scope of analysis/review (i.e. commercial downtown, residential guest homes, hotels, hostels, information centre, parking on CPR lands, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hélène Cassista will work with FCC to organize Town Walk About, and will include Development Officers. Note: Town Walk About scheduled for October 18, 2016; 9:00 am start at Yoho Admin.
  • Spring bin to be organized for May/June 2017. This is not a free service; cost will be reflected in solid waste fees.
  • Canada150 Branding: contact information for Canadian Heritage sent to FCC by Marthe Boissonnault. Parks Canada will provide banners; design and installation to be determined.
  • Streetlights and nighttime safety: If you see that a light is burned out, please contact Hélène Cassista. Parks Canada will look at need for additional light between intersection of 1st Avenue and 1st Street, and the Fire Hall. Townsite Office will consult Fire Chief.
  • Residents requested predictable access to 6A-30 key to open the gate at the west end of town to drop green waste (garden waste) once the Visitor Centre is closed for the winter season. Hélène Cassista to determine schedule.

Highway Service Centre – Michael Vanderveen

  • Rock Scaling Update: Project proceeding well; delays significantly shorter than expected. For current information visit drivebc.ca. If you want to receive email notifications from the Field Unit, please send an email to tania.peters@pc.gc.ca to be added to the mail list.
  • Other projects underway: Replacing seven culverts under the TransCanada Highway in Yoho, starting with one to the East of Field near the Yoho pit and west to the park boundary; adding diversions where needed. Removing accumulated material from avalanche gully and berm on Mt. Stephen.
  • Working on an Environmental Assessment on milled asphalt. The product was used on 2nd Avenue in Field. Residents not impressed with the product. Report to be presented at the next meeting.

Asset Management – Travis Wert

  • Mount Dennis and 2nd Avenue: Dewatering Mt. Dennis seems to be going well. Monitoring ongoing. Looking at diversion work to move water west of Waste Water Treatment Plant. Consultant from Tetra Tec has been on site, completed draft report but not ready to share. Seem to have stepped back from original claims; situation now seen as less catastrophic.
  • Fire Hall Roof: Contractor on site to make temporary repairs.
  • Consultant has been retained to assess operational space at Boulder Creek, Fire Hall, etc.
  • Yoho Trading Post site now on Contaminated Site Index; eligible for funding. Assessment to be conducted on site in fall.
  • Superintendent’s Residence: Work to be done on electrical, heating and building envelope in the fall. Stringent guidelines for Federal Heritage Building. Green technology project would provide few benefits for very costly initiatives like wind or solar power, or geothermal heat.
  • Federal Infrastructure Initiatives (FII) Funding for Staff Accommodation in Field to replace Boulder Creek Bunkhouse: Lots have been identified for flexible housing to replace the bunkhouse. Concepts in development. May see something in next construction season. Proposal resubmitted today to National Office for FII funds to do maintenance on all Parks Canada housing in Field. Some budget increases made for urgent work. Note: Housing is critical to overall function of operations in Yoho National Park.

Visitor Experience – No Report

Resource Conservation – No Report

  1. Friends of Yoho – Helen Barry, President

The Friends of Yoho had a busy season in the store, and hosted some great programs this summer as well. Historic Walking Tours of Field were offered twice a week from late June to early September. There were two Full Moon Hikes. Parks Day Celebrations included a “S’Mores” event. Sweet. History of the CPR Course was offered again in summer 2016.

  1. Field Fire and Rescue

Since last report we have had 11 callouts: 9 motor vehicle collisions; 1 motor vehicle fire; 1 water rescue assist. Turnout to all calls was adequate. No serious injuries.

Equipment

New purchases – electric positive pressure fan, which will complement the gas powered EPP fan. Key components required for an offensive attack on a single-family building.

Training

In house training has been concentrating on exterior fire attack.

Members sent to: Rapid Intervention Team – for a rescue team inside a structure fire; Live Fire 3; Fire Service Instructor One

Membership is low right now- roster has 18 (including part time members who are only in Field occasionally) and due to various circumstances (including seasonal membership) lost 3 fire fighters. Minimum membership is 16. If anyone knows someone interested in joining, please send him or her our way.

  1. Roundtable

Karla Gaffney shared a letter dated September 2, 2016 from the Diocese of Nelson to Parks Canada stating that all attempts had been made to assign the former Catholic Church property, unsuccessfully. Consequently the Diocese has advised Parks Canada they have decided “to demolish the property and relinquish our lease . . “. Discussion was held about heritage values, different assessments of the state of the building, zoning restrictions, and the diminishing pool of volunteers to take on big community projects. No resolutions offered.

Meeting adjourned at 9:10 pm.

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regular Meeting September 12, 2016

field-recreation-and-advisory-association-and-field-community-council-regular-meeting-september-12-2016

Field Town Hall Meeting June 27, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting June 27, 2016 7:00 pm.

In Attendance: Jeremy Schmidt, Kathryn Cameron, Sally Watson, Kim Chapman, Ellen Francis, Keith Batstone, Elaine Lemieux, David Allen, Chris Allen, Ryan Cameron, Myles Dickinson, Sophie Cais, Jamie Harbottle

  1. Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Report

1.1 Welcome to Field’s newest resident, baby Noa Lily Oesa Morrison, and congratulations to Matt, Julie and Liam on the new addition to their family.

1.2 Spring Fling, May 29: Thank you to everyone who helped organize, decorate, work bar shifts and make food! Great event to welcome summer. Good music from DJ Flinataroo, lots of dancing, good turnout.

1.3 John Jenkins and Small Town Revival, with Slade Coffman CD Release Party, June 10: Exciting event to showcase local talented young man, Slade Coffman. FRAA have booked Small Town Revival for the Yoho Blow in January 2017. Great dance music!

1.4 Garden Party, June 19: Organized by Maggie Fields, 10th annual progressive garden revue. Superb event with excellent food, stories and visiting.

1.5 Field Elementary School, Celebrating the Life of One of Canada’s Smallest Schools, June 25: Amazing attendance, wonderful but bittersweet event. Many of the first graduating class, and four former teachers Mr. and Mrs. McLaren (from Quadra Island) and Mr. and Mrs. Kingham (from Victoria) attended. Great presentations. Great fun. Lots of shared stories. Sept. 1960 was the start of the school ski program, the first in British Columbia – a legacy for the school that continued into the last year. Madame Rebecka, Abby, Thomas and Axel shared their final year at Field Elementary. Former teachers tested the audience’s knowledge of some exciting events in the school’s history – the audience knew a lot – and the teachers were revealed! Touching slide show; there were a few teary eyes in the gym. Superb concert style event at the school. A big Thank You to the volunteers; we fed over 200 people at the pot luck supper at the Community Hall. Great community spirit. Everyone played a role in the success. Volunteers in this community are outstanding. Demographics of the community now are the big factor in the school closing this year. The students who came to this school in 1960 lived in families supported by union jobs with Canadian Pacific or the Parks Service and there was affordable housing in Field. The issues we have been talking about in reference to community sustainability are really highlighted by the school closing at the end of this school year.

1.6 Upcoming event, Party on High Street, June 29: Talent show and Live Music 8 to 12 am. Hosted by Emerald Lake Lodge staff – it’s their summer kick off! Everyone welcome.

1.8 Congratulations to this year’s Golden Secondary School grads: Stephen Young and Naomi Lenstra!

1.9 Canada Day July 1: Events start at 8:30 with a Pancake breakfast courtesy of BC Ambulance Service; 11:00 Parade; 11:30 Barbeque courtesy Field Fire and Rescue. 12:30 – Family bocce, cake and ice cream, tons of fun. Super soaker contest for people who pick up the most spent water balloons!

1.10 School Playground: MLA Norm MacDonald called to say thank you to the residents of Field for the overwhelming support he received from the community in the past four provincial elections. He won’t run in the next election; he said he always wanted to finish his work years as a teacher so plans to return to the classroom rather than stay in politics. He said the School District continues to maintain Columbia Valley School in Parson, including the tennis court, and skating rink; he thinks the playground is still in place as well. He suggested we look at Parson Columbia Valley School as a model. Sally is in discussion with our insurer in the interim. Their big question is: Why would we insure an asset that we don’t own or have responsibility over? We insure the ski trails but the Field Ski Club is under the umbrella of the FRAA, so we have an affiliation with them but not with School District 6. Ellen Francis is working on Parks Canada responsibilities for the lease and occupation of the site, zoned as institutional.

Note: Kathryn to call Paul Carriere Superintendent of Rocky Mountain SD 6 to follow up on information about Parson school facilities.

1.11 Bar Fridge: Not worth repairing. Moved it out onto the porch for next step in disposal process. Making do without it right now by using coolers and bus pans filled with ice. A new fridge is coming from Coca-Cola at no cost. Dave and Jeremy to look at options for disposal of old fridge: landfill or contact Larry Magnuson who has a recycle operation.

1.12 Canada 150 Grant: How can we celebrate Canada’s sesquicentennial and leave a legacy? Over the weekend we started discussion and research on installing an electric car charging station in Field, maybe in the parking lot behind the lodge. Claudia to continue research, and if possible submit a grant application for Phase 2 of a BC Hydro program that has an application deadline of June 30, 2016.

1.13 2017: Yoho Blow turns 40, Kicking Horse Ski Club turns 30 and the Friends Of Yoho turn 30 so we have big celebrations coming up. Thinking about applying for a Restricted Activity Permit for fireworks for New Years Eve this year to ring in this big year and next year to end the celebration. Not a lot of newborn animals and birds in the dead of winter to be disrupted by a fireworks event, good chance to secure a RAP.

1.14 Discussion with Melanie: To talk to her about the future of Coffee with the Superintendent, scheduled for July 6. Council feels that it’s a valuable resource to get to know each other, and build understanding. We will implement Coffee with the Council to give residents the chance to get together in an informal setting to talk about life in Field and discuss what we can do as community members to enhance a pretty special life style. Watch your email – Council will keep you posted.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

Financials attached. Motion to accept Jeremy and seconded by Kathryn. Carried.

  1. RCMP Report

No RCMP member present. Sgt. Betty Watson has indicated the RCMP will be here for the parade on Canada Day.

      4. Townsite Manager’s Report

4.1Townsite Manager Ellen Francis introduced Keith Batstone, the new Senior Development Officer. Kathleen Wilker (not present) will work as a Development Officer to help with the current large workload in the Development Office. Welcome Keith and Kathleen!

4.2 Budget: Getting the figures together. Some information is not finalized; once complete the Budget needs to be reviewed before release.

Note: In discussion about privacy and information currently included in the budget, Council stated that if there is 100% cost recovery for water, sewer and garbage, then there must be 100% disclosure of costs. Parks Canada salaries are available online in collective agreements.

4.3 Field Solid Waste: Parks Canada Agency (PCA) has reviewed our actual numbers for providing the solid waste service to the community of Field. In 2015/16, we invoiced the community $41,418. Our actual costs were closer to $49,763 in 2015/16. Our projected costs for 2016/17 are looking to be $49,910. The 2015/16 deficit appears to come in at  ($8,271) added to the 2016/17 budget for operations equals $58,181. This is the unconfirmed amount that will be cost recovered from the community of Field in 2016/17. This is effectively a 40% increase in rates. So, if a resident was paying $16.83/month in 2015/16, they will be paying $23.56/month in 2016/17.

4.4 Water and Sewer: PCA will most likely continue to cap water and sewer rates at $1.77 for water and $5.67 for sewer for 2016/17. These rates are being assessed to determine how they may change going forward. It is estimated that PCA will pay $57,000 for the municipal subsidy (determined by the Nichols Report 2014) in 2016/17 and an additional $29,000 subsidy to keep the water and sewer rates from going up in 2016/17.

There are a handful of leaseholders who have not provided PCA access to inspect water meters and to install digital meters. Over the summer, we will issue one final registered letter to set up an appointment to do this work. If the appointment is not honoured, PCA will move to cut off water supply to these residences until which time the matter is resolved.

It is our goal to have all water, sewer, and solid waste budget numbers confirmed in the next two weeks.

Note: Two residents indicated they had received their registered letters after the date specified for the digital meters to be installed in their homes. Post Office in Field will remain open in the event of a labour dispute between Canada Post and Canadian Union of Postal Workers. Recommended that Parks Canada use the Field Post Office for sending registered letters to Field residents since there is no external transportation needed to move the mail from sender to receiver other than the local employee. Mail sent from Lake Louise travels to Calgary for processing.

4.5 Drainage Issues on 1st and 2nd Avenues: Dave Allen has been monitoring spring ditch flows. Assets Management continues to seek anecdotal evidence to further define problem and will arrange a meeting to uncover useful information.

4.6 Tree Removal from Power Line Between Field and Energy Storage Facility (ESF): BC Hydro vegetation maintenance on the entire line is scheduled for late fall 2016, and will work with Parks Canada for approval of hazard tree removal in Yoho National Park.

4.7 Energy Storage Facility: Parks Canada has approved and issued a building permit for BC Hydro to replace the generator at the ESF. BC Hydro anticipates all work at the ESF will be complete by the end of the summer.

4.8 Update Community Emergency Plan: Day to day emergency operations work well. The Community Emergency plan addresses how to manage in the event of a major disaster. Parks Canada is working with provincial authorities to update emergency plans for both Lake Louise and Field, looking at reciprocal agreements and existing models. Some Field residents have been invited to participate in Lake Louise process currently underway.

4.9 Town Walk About: Elaine Lemieux to coordinate date with Council, Keith and Kathleen.

4.10 Lot Release: PCA feels that since there are currently 3 to 4 houses and an empty lot for sale in Field there is no lot release planned. Lot release process is very time consuming and expensive. Anyone who is interested in a lot can approach Elaine Lemieux to discuss options.

Note: Council suggested that a lot release could generate interest and excitement for people who are interested in building a home here and joining in the community. There is potential for community and economic development through a lot release process that could be a good investment for Parks Canada and the community.

4.11 Solid Waste Signage and Education: Council has asked for presentation by Solid Waste on what can be put in which bin to avoid contamination that undermines benefits of sorting recyclable material. As solid waste from Field ends up in Town of Banff facilities, Ellen Francis is reaching out to see what information is shared with others who use the same service provider.

4.12 Stephen Creek Sediment Trap: Update to be provided by end of 2016.

4.13 Warning Signs at Water Treatment Facility: The situation has been reviewed by security consultants. They have provided a preliminary report that is under consideration – more research is needed to identify solutions that will work in the location.

4.14 Train Horns: Ellen noted that Field Community Council is not asking that CP deal with this crossing in a different way. FCC indicated that their wish is that train horns be kept as the lowest possible decibels and least number of sounds.

4.15 Missing Minutes of past FUB/Liaison Meetings: A draft copy of minutes from the January 20, 2016 meeting were given to Council at the FUB on June 20, 2016.

4.16 Spreadsheet of Annual Revenue and Expenses for the Village of Field: FCC requested that PCA provide a spreadsheet of the total cost of operating the village of Field to which Ellen Francis replied that PCA has no capacity nor resources at this time to pull this information together. She further noted that this type of information would be easier to pull together for the costs recovered vs. not recovered as it is not measured not kept track of. Ellen suggested that should FCC want to pursue this avenue to prioritize their request.

4.17 Prescribed Burn Plans for 2016: Ellen reported that the prescribed burn team is in full swing with the summer season but that a list will be provided to FCC. She further added that PCA will look to providing an information update at the September 26, 2016 Town Hall Meeting.

4.18 Plans for School Building and Teacherage: PCA and the school district have started preliminary discussions on the future of the school building and Teacherage; no decisions have been made to date. Examining a collective list of questions and determining what Parks Canada will cover in the interim period.

4.19 Release of Doll House: This file is currently with Assets Management team. The Doll House has been added to the housing project analysis.

4.20 2017 Canada 150 Branding: The Department of Canadian Heritage is leading this project and information will be shared when available.

  1. Highway Service Centre Report

5.1 Street Sweeping: Sweeping should be complete in Field.

Note: The entrance road from the bridge to the train track crossing has not been swept, nor has the Field VRC parking lot been swept.

5.2 Road Painting: Painting in town (Field) today, but may have a few more things to do still.

Note: Town still needs stop lines at intersections. Spiral Tunnels parking lot needs to be painted.

5.3 Paving: Fresh asphalt on the Field Hill by the Rock Scaling at Sherbrook Creek.  Some guardrail work will be done here shortly as well.

5.4 Emerald Lake Road is almost complete as far as paving and painting. Looks like a few more things to do there still before it is all finished.

Note: Concern expressed by residents that parking by the Hamilton Falls/Lake trailhead is now parallel parking rather than angle parking, determined by new curb. The Emerald Lake parking lot is already too small, so losing those stalls compounds the parking problem there. Can Land Use Planning look at opening the old horse stable site for parking?

  1. Field Fire and Rescue

6.1 Call Outs: Since last report FFR has responded to one Motor Vehicle Accident and one grass/brush fire in town where the exterior of a home was damaged. Fire Chief issued a reminder on how to burn properly and safely: do not leave fires unattended and do not burn close to facilities.

6.2 Membership is good. Many returning seasonal staff who are trained and qualified to respond to call outs. In summer there are lots of staff in town to respond. All members have an app on their phones now that indicate their availability for calls; valuable tool to know how many fire fighters are able to attend a call out.

6.3 Training: Members are doing a lot of training. Fire Chief attended a railway fire-training program in Colorado in May, sponsored by CP Rail. Currently sharing the knowledge with FFR members. Excellent course in an excellent facility. Fire Chiefs and Training Officers from across Canada are training at the centre in Colorado. Big initiative, valuable resource.

6.3 Fire Underwriters paid a visit to Field to assess facilities and the program. Determined that Field is well protected. We will confirm our grading and any changes hopefully by around January.

Note: Thank you to volunteer members of our department, and thank you to Parks Canada for funding the team.

  1. Round Table: Post office will be open in event of strike or lock out. Mail will probably not move in or out of town, but only within town itself.

Meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regualr Meeting June 6, 2016

field-recreation-and-advisory-association-and-field-community-council-regular-meeting-june-6-2016

Field Town Hall Meeting May 16, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting May 16th 2016

Kathryn Cameron: Welcome – good turn out.

Change in FCC – Craig stepping down as Chair; Kathryn has taken on role as chair and Claudia as secretary until August.

  • FRAA

Great events over the last few months – thanks Tyra and Kat for the hard work. Great Easter potluck and egg hunt!

Upcoming events.

May 29th (Sunday) – Spring fling – A welcome all the summer staff from the local businesses and a welcome to the summer season. Flint will be the DJ

June 19th (Sunday) – Garden Party – Maggie is organizing. Please contact if you would like to be a host . Progressive Party that moves around town. Theme is pink and purple in honor of Miki Morency.

June 25th (Saturday) – School Celebration – Check the village of Field Facebook page for the schedule of events. Doors will open at 1pm and at 2pm there will be a presentation along the same lines as the school Christmas concert. Everyone is welcome to contribute. Please feel free to contact Madame Rebecca – expect the ‘concert’ to be around 2 hours long. Lots of former students, pictures, etc. Then move to the community hall for potluck – bring salads and veggies and deserts. Meat will be provided. Does anyone have school pictures from when you were at school here? Hall will be decorated like a school classroom.

Sue La rose is choreographing a performance for all former teachers

June 29th (Wednesday) – Emerald Lake is renting the Community Hall for a Band and Dance.

July 1st (Friday) – Canada day – $440 grant – anyone have any ideas? Ambulance puts on breakfast and FFR puts on lunch. Face painting. Any people and businesses in town who want to have a float be here at the town hall AT 11AM.

A yoga retreat took place over the weekend – great revenue.

Enola Nygren interested in doing a yoga retreat for the community, maybe in August.

Friends of Yoho is renting the hall June 23rd and 24th – for train event

  • June 6th AGM- will be held at the picnic tables 5pm – wiener roast in the plaza.
  • July 1st – Historic Walking tour start for summer – Thursdays and Tuesdays 8pm
  • July and August – full moon walks
  • July 18th Parks Day – Sweets and S’mores
  • Will send out an email with a list of all events.
  • FCC

Thanks to the Highways team that came in and cleaned up around town.

Yoho Trading Post opened on May 13th under the same management. Opening was delayed from expected May 1st due to pump installation issues. Still sharing Burgess Shale accommodation with guides. Unsure what the plan with the property is – still in overhold. PC is now actively looking into it. Concerns from the community about being closed for the winter as it made Field looked derelict. What influence can PC have over ensuring the gas station is open over the winter? Can we give an incentive?

Field Fire and Rescue Society is to take over care of school playground – in communication with the school. Question from Ellen re: liability – Sally is absent, but will inform community once she returns as to whether the FCC insurance would cover it. It does currently cover events held at school etc. Ellen has concerns about liability as the school is leasing the land from Parks Canada.

  • Treasurer’ Report

Sally is away – she will have a report for the next town meeting which is on June 27th.

  • RCMP

Absent

  • Townsite Manager – Ellen Francis

Townsites team primarliy based out of LL – we are growing (after shrinking); bringing in new development officers. Hopefully this will help us get through the projects proposed for the Field Unit.

At June meeting would be a good time for FCC to talk about housing etc. Wants to understand in general what some longer term projects are in the community – discuss next meeting.

Sheila – waste water management – has looked into concerns re: security breach – we have reviewed with PC security consultants – who have released a preliminary report currently under review.

Solid waste – doing some work (no Field hanges) – looking at how charges are pulled together – might be something that comes up at the utility board meeting (could be pricing changes; increase or decrease)

Emergency plans for Field – hasn’t been updated in about 10 years. Looking to update and add any missing pieces – PC will be looking at possible changes and how to communicate it to community. Should be discussed by fall.

Trains – whistling – what do people think? Ellen – if we don’t want the whistle to sound it would require PC to build a crossing structure – which will have a cost associated. PC will not pursue unless we hear about the whistling. Kathryn – why do we have different whistles – e.g. short, short, long, short. What is their protocol? Can we go with the minimum.   Karla – says relates to Morse code indicating the Queen is present. CP has had a safety person come through (same as Golden Canyon issue). Solution may be noisier than what we have – e.g., bells. At this stage Ellen is going to investigate minimum requirements.

  • Highway Service Centre – Mike Vanderveen

Will be replacing the damaged bins tomorrow! Just need to get pads in . Q re: how it happened – plough driver hit it at slow speed. Elaine Lemieux will install information stickers. Highways will be paying for the bins, not the residents of Field as per usual.

Phase one painting of lines done

Lots more sweeping of shoulders to do.

Dave – signs on the highway that bear the brunt of the winter weather – are they being replaced? Some – Highways just deals with regulatory signs. Other signs belong to the Field Unit.

  • Visitor Experience

Michael St Denis absent. Ellen Francis speaking on his behalf.

Yoho Valley sign replacement will be completed this summer. New signs will also be installed at the Lake O’Hara staging area.

Request for Illegal camping to be formally reported as anecdotally PC cannot do anything. PC is looking for alternatives to the current formal system which is to report to Banff Dispatch. At this stage continue with this until we have an alternative. Put up a poster on community board so everyone knows how to report.

  • Resource Conservation

No report

  • Presentation Highway Service Centre

Please see attached slideshow with information on Highways infrastructure investment program.

GUEST: Marnie DiGiandomenico

Main points. No delays expected in July an August. Work should start Early June. Major delays will be posted one week in advance on Parks Website.

PC website has a construction link – with information re: work, closures expected delays etc. PC is hoping to get message out to visitors to really plan ahead. If you are not on the mailing list would like to be added let Elaine Lemieux know. Mountain Park website covers the entire Mt Park infrastructure projects – not just highways – includes campground closures etc. Can be a day or two behind because of translation required. But 511 and Drive BC should be immediate for up to date information.

If there are questions that are not being addresses – please let Lindsey know so that it can be addressed.

Rock scaling:

Will have to schedule 90-minute delays about a week in advance. Subject to changes and delays e.g. CP rail and unexploded dynamite) 90 minute is worst case scenario – should be about 60 minutes, but 90 minutes covers unanticipated delays

No rock scaling in JULY AND AUGUST.

Design for the next stretch of highway twinning has a two year widow to complete intermediate design of the twinning of the highway. At this stage there is no confirmed ending as looking into safest end point (could be as far as the Spiral Tunnels)

  • Assets

Monarch culvert project: We replaced a couple of culverts already – replacing a 3rd one – took longer to get through the design phase – will hopefully done by late fall.

Replace bunkhouse with accommodation directly within the community of Field: Was originally set up to be done out of Calgary office – but trying to repatriate back to field unit. Kurt Devlin will hopefully be project lead – bringing it back will have more community consultation. Will have 24 beds. Multi building structure.

Smaller projects – (many small projects not approved) – has doubled housing maintenance budget and hopefully we can chip away at small projects.

Field Fire Hall: Roof issues – wants to get FFR department to look at Radium’s new Fire

hall to see what works, and to think about new plans for the Fire Hall – a new structure.

Superintendent’s home: Part of a green pilot project Kurt Devlin and Karen Lassen are project coordinators   – new green technologies, more affordable to heat. Hopefully will be operational before the winter hits.

Standing maintenance of the bridges: Vehicle bridges – ongoing.

1st and 2nd avenue drainage: Put a lot of time and brain power into trying to understand the problem. Contractor who did the work had some ideas – execution didn’t work. Put in time monitoring – what water is ending up where. Drain seems to be working well. In fall water is still pooling but not going into the culvert. Wants to have an anecdotal sit down conversation – e.g. Chuck working up there and things got worse. If anyone thinks that they have any value/information to add. One evening sit down over coffee potential option. Dave Allen is going to try and corral people and come up with a time over the next couple of weeks – please contact Dave to arrange a time if you are impacted.

Kathryn – Could we get a hydrologist to come and have a look? Mt Dennis issue related? Travis – Clearing of clay barrier seems to be when there was an issue (poorly preforming ditch removed) Monitoring phase trying to get to complexity of the issue – no historical analysis

Q – when was the original waterworks decommissioned( CP’s for the water tower)? Not known

Mt Dennis Slope Stabilization has been far more successful; seems to be working. Largest concern – slide that would choke up cemetery bridge and cause flooding. Lots of deadfall in the creek – has its own difficulties. Travis has been on a couple of site visits. PC has challenged their network. A couple of clay slopes on top of shale – constantly in migration downhill. Monitoring network – only put in these two clay fields. Have forced the to put on in the ‘tree island’. Have put identified monitoring network and will be monitoring monthly until November. Measuring stake movement. Dave is on site with contractors. Any changes PC will let us know. As of yet no concerns. This will allow to see changes from frozen ground in winter– to wet ground in summer– to dry ground in October. The emergency dewatering of slope (with two pits): upper one is functioning – surface run off – filling up. Currently not much if any water is flowing through lower pit. But did catch some water. Pipe itself has receive some damage – had discussions with consultant – toed into river – to avoid drop and erosion. Also discussed hazardous trees – will have to monitor further – as it sits right now might provide ore protection. Maintenance program will be kept up. Appreciate any feedback/concerns – more data always helpful. This is the monitoring phase (after emergency phase) will then see what else needs to be done.

Can we communicate that to community? Travis will come chat/Dave can come chat/ Ellen can pass on, even to know status quo.

  • Field Fire and Rescue Department

Callouts:

Fire:1 at Emerald Lake Lodge maintenance facility

MVA:3

Hazmat:1

Emerald Lake Fire:

Cause determined as propane explosion from faulty garage heater. No fatalities. ~1 miillion dollars damage. 2 structures saved, the waste water sewage plant and bell hut. 8 members responded from Field Fire. 18 hours total call out time. Lake Louise Fire assisted for 4 hours. BCAS, RCMP, Canwest Propane, and Parks Canada aquatics specialist.

Training:

Spring CSRD training up and running. Members will be attending: Exterior Fire, Strategy and Tactics; Apparatus Pump Operator; Wild Land Fire (with Parks Canada); Structural Protection Unit; Special CP rail, crude oil by rail training in Denver Colorado; In house training concentrating on structure fires; Live burn in Nicholson.

Membership:

19 Fire Fighters; 2 former members returning for the summer: Meghan Beamish and Tina Deenik

2 new members; Maggie and Hollie finished recruit training.

Equipment:

Received new Ford 550 with old rescue box March 1.

All trucks in full service …yippee!

FCC: Thanks for all the work you do.

Ellen: In response to ” Has there been any more thought on the Fulltime Fire Chief Position?” There have been tweaks to the agreement from past years – to stay within the budget that we have. Outside of the budget is all of the infrastructure. For this year things will remain status quo but will look at it in the future alongside emergency service planning. Concern regarding burn out for volunteers – and at the moment the duties of the Chief is far more than is reasonable for a volunteer that works full-time and has a family.

  • Round Table

Reschedule FUB from June 15 to June 22nd

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regular Meeting April 25, 2016

FRAA and FCC Meeting April 25th  2016, 7pm

In attendance: Kathryn Cameron, Jeremy and Karen Schmidt, Sally Watson, Kim Chapman, Claudia Harding, Tyra Cameron and Katherine MacNeill

Pierre Lemire made a presentation to FCC and FRAA about his concerns as to the progress with mitigation to the Mt Dennis Slump area?

  • Brought images from 70’s of slide from Mt Stephen on to CP rail tracks and also brought photos of current area of concern.
  • Has been up to slumping area recently and says it appears that about 50% of the water has so far been diverted. It seems that one reservoir is working and the other is not,
  • Has concern about damage to pipes – large avalanche covered pipes during the winter and big boulder was moved and appears to have slightly damaged.
  • There was an alternative solution, put forward in proposal, why was this not used? Is it in relation to the cost?
  • Pierre suggested the addition of several small pipes to drain off the water that does not appear to have been diverted.
  • Wants to the community to continue to follow progress of project and ensure that Parks Canada is doing everything they can to mitigate risk to the town of Field.
  • Questions to ask PC –
    • Why was alternate solution not implemented – is it due to cost?
    • Are you satisfied with the amount of water that is being captured – do you feel that this makes the slump area ‘safe’/stable?
    • How much has been spent on the project so far? What is the budget limit?
    • Who is responsible if something fails?
    • If this doesn’t work – does PC have an exit strategy for the village of Field?
    • The reservoir that doesn’t appear to be filling; is it working? If not – what will be done to improve its function?
    • Where is monitoring at? Can Travis present the updates at the next town meeting?
    • Can we remove some of the larger trees to reduce the risk of damage to the pipe?

FRAA

EASTER

  • Good Job Tyra and Kat .
  • Please send any photos to Kathryn for Craig to put up on village of Field Website/Facebook page and to keep for a ‘scrapbook’
  • Were able to keep costs down by reusing decorations

SPRING FLING

  • May 29th (Sunday)
  • Need to organize a DJ – last year Kirk volunteered services. Lets talk to Flint and see what he would charge. Otherwise the same DJ as was used for Yoho Blow. Kat and Tyra will organize
  • Make sure Emerald Lake and Cathedral Lodge staff are fully aware of this so that we can get the numbers up. Does Emerald Lake have more than one shuttle?
  • Make a poster to put up in town and Emerald and Cathedral – Kat and Tyra will organize
  • Food
    • pulled pork sliders were great last year, but this year let’s try something simpler that is easier in terms of food safety – maybe hot dogs. Kim will organize.
    • Liquor license – Sally will be away – so Tyra will organize with help of Kim and Karen
  • Decorations
    • Disco light (in cupboard near kitchen?)
    • Tickle trunk and photo corner to encourage people to take photos (similar to Mike and Charisse’s wedding)
    • Tissue paper ball decorations – Karen

SCHOOL EVENT

  • June 25th (Saturday)
  • School has plans for what the kids are going to do in preparation
  • Back to Community Hall for community gathering after school stuff is done
  • What time will it start? Community Hall will open doors at 5pm.
  • Potluck Salad/Deserts. Community will provide Beef or Turkey
  • Admission by donation
  • Kathryn will organize liquor license
  • Will need volunteers – lets ask past and present parents of the school
  • Sid estimates 70-75 people coming from outside the community
  • It has been posted on the ‘I Lived in Field’ Facebook page
  • Mike will make a Facebook event for the Potluck
  • Kathryn will touch base with Sid and the School – as it is a co-hosted event between the School and the FRAA
  • Decorations
    • Old School images (bring from the school to the hall)
    • Old class photos
    • Guest book (maybe Jamie Frazer book from the siding)
    • Talk to Edwin Knox, Pierre Lemire, Sue Larose and Debbie Bancroft re: photos
    • Some photos hanging at Lady Gray
    • Use Field Kids past and present projects to decorate
    • Ask Madame Rebecca for some bulletin board borders to decorate the Hall like a school classroom
  • Special invite for all past teachers – ask the school board to contact them

 

CANADA DAY

  • $440 to spend (for balloons, cake, ice cream, 3 bottle of helium, prizes, advertising)
  • Compare helium pricing at Home Depot – with Costco
  • Kids’ adventure race – like a scavenger hunt but with activities – down by the pond/ball diamond
  • Family bocce tournament
  • Need to think about how to get people involved in the parade
    • Invite business to participate, include Emerald Lake Lodge/ GDL/ Cathedral/Lake O’Hara Lodge
    • Make it a challenge with a prize for winning Entry
  • Make sure that everyone involved in water balloon fight picks up empty balloons – could have a sign up sheet with a prize for the most balloons collected e.g. a super soaker.

SCHOOL PIANO

  • Who owns the Piano? Does the school and if so – do they want to keep it to move it? – Talk to Vivian.

SCHOOL PLAYGROUND

  • Fire department society has volunteered to look after the playground if it means the school will allow the equipment to remain.
  • They will need to be told what checks, certification and maintenance is required
  • Parks Canada has two maintenance kits – they can get equipment from Blue Imp if required
  • Does the FCC insurance cover the playground? Sally to investigate. If not do we need to put up signage?

ROUND TABLE

GARDEN PARTY

  • Is Maggie hosting the party this year – or was last year her last year?
  • When would it fall? Around the Solstice – so weekend of the 17/18 or 24/25 (school celebration is on the 25th)

FCC

ROLES

  • Craig has stepped down from his position as Chair. Kathryn has taken on this role and Claudia has taken on the role of secretary until August.

LETTER FROM ENVIRONMENT MINISTER

  • Think about a response to this
  • PC says revenue is up 20% and we are expecting another big year and looking to encourage visitation in shoulder/off season for the 2017 Canada celebrations
  • Doesn’t take into account aging ski club and that Friends of Yoho aren’t happy ‘covering’ for parks during the winter

MEDIATION

  • Kathryn to send email to Ellen to accept mediation
  • Need to ensure FCC moves as a unit
  • Express that we have a functioning model
  • Need to make our Qs for Ellen more focused, but also need for follow up as it has been a year since some items were added to the agenda.
  • Sally will be away May 11-20 and June 8-13 – normally has weekends and every second Friday off
  • Jeremy switches from Mon-Thursday work to Sunday to Wednesday after May long weekend
  • Kathryn Wed/Thursday off but has a flexible schedule
  • Claudia not working until June 13- but ideally would work best on a day Jamie can care for Mikayla
  • Wait for Ellen to suggest a date and then counter if required – possibly an evening would work best.

BINS

  • 6 week delivery was estimated March 14th so should arrive end of April. Follow up for a timeline.

WALK AROUND TOWN

  • Add to FUB
  • Generally takes place 1st week in June with Elaine Lemieux
  • Bring outstanding items from past Walks

YOHO TRADING POST

  • Have new pumps. Opening May 1st

STREET SWEEPER

  • Scheduled for 2 weeks earlier than last year. Send Elaine Lemieux an email asking for a date
  • (should be early May based on email from April 19th stating 2 weeks from then)

HIGHWAY (information from email)

  • Trans-Canada Highway Construction in Banff and Yoho national parks
    These projects, and the estimated impacts on motorists, include:

    Yoho National Park
    Rock Slope Stabilization – This work will occur in various locations
    between Wapta Lake and the Yoho west boundary. No blasting will occur in
    July and August, or over long weekends. Outside of those months, work will
    occur from approximately April to October, seven days a week, 24 hours a
    Expect delays from Monday to Thursday throughout the project duration
    as follows: two closures of up to 90 minutes per day between 7 a.m. and 11
    a.m.; and one closure of up to 90 minutes between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. In
    addition, travellers should expect occasional delays of up to 60 minutes
    from Monday to Saturday.

    * Please note that to safely accommodate rock blasting, the Spiral Tunnels
    Viewpoint is presently closed until the end of June, 2016.

    Yoho National Park
    Paving – Work will occur in September and October between the Ottertail
    Viewpoint and the Yoho west boundary from Monday to Saturday. Expect single
    lane alternating traffic and delays of up to 30 minutes. No work on Sundays
    or long weekends.

    Yoho National Park
    Emerald Lake Road repaving – Work will occur in May and June between the
    Emerald Lake Road/Trans Canada Highway Junction and the Emerald Lake
    parking lot. Working hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Saturday, with
    no work on Sundays or long weekends. Expect single lane alternating traffic
    and delays of up to 30 minutes.

ROUND TABLE

  • Yoga retreat May 13-17 has been cancelled
  • Enola Nygren is interested in partnering with FRAA to host a 2 day retreat in August
  • Mikki’s memorial is at the Church May 1st
  • Kathryn will set up the pickle ball court
  • Add Train whistle-sounding to the FUB Agenda
  • Jeremy will take a look at new security system and if training is required will train others