Field Recreation Advisory Association (FRAA) Board Meeting
January 8, 2018
In attendance: Sally Watson, Kathryn Cameron, Mike LeGrice, Flint Palmer, Paulina Silva, Sonja Leenders, Greg Dowman
Excused: Karen Schmidt
1. Take down Christmas decorations and put away in basement. All done!
Christmas Event Recap: Skate with Santa, Christmas Pot Luck Supper, Concert, and visit from Santa at the end of the evening were great. Thanks to everyone who brought good food, cooked turkeys, hams and potatoes, helped to set up for the evening and take it down at the end of the night, and shared their talents at the Concert. Field Fire and Rescue Department (FFRD) did it again. Last year they gave us a ballet; this year they presented a coronation!
2. Church Update: Now owned by FRAA. Researching insurance options. Greg to assess Bell Tower on Church, and secure if necessary.
3. Insurance Renewal: Johnston Meier has presented our insurance coverage and costs for the next year.
4. Grant applications:
• Canada Day 2018 grant submitted on time in mid-November; should hear if we will receive money from Heritage Canada by early February.
• $10,000 BC Rural Dividend Program grant submitted mid-December. We’ll hear the results of that application in mid-March. Currently working on a $10,000 Grant in Aid from CSRD. Strategy is that these two grants will provide seed money to start the planning process, develop plans.
• Grant Application to Columbia Basin Trust (CBT) for technology funding examined; the FRAA is too small to qualify for the program. One Drive for FRAA digital files discussed. Julia can help with this; Greg to follow up. Cloud storage and cross platform access to FRAA procedurals preferred.
5. Treasurer’s Report: Sally made a balance sheet for our last fiscal year; it was required for the Rural Dividend Program grant application. It looks amazing!
6. Constitution Update, Societies Act Registration, MOU with Parks Canada:
• Board members to have a look at Constitution for FRAA. Moving it over to digital by the end of February 2018. Will collaborate on process with FFRD; also in process of registering under the new BC Societies Act.
• MOU with Parks Canada: We have an unsigned Draft from 2004. Intention is to define FRAA role with PCA through facilitated meetings with Parks Canada. Next meeting scheduled for Monday January 15, 2018. Sally and Kathryn to attend for FRAA.
7. Yoho Blow: Friday, Saturday and Sunday February 2, 3 and 4 2018
Friday, February 2
Set up Friday afternoon: outdoor fencing, merchandise, stock the bar, food prep
7:00 pm Bar Open
Karaoke and games at the hall, including some Minute to Win It Skill Tests, Euchre Tournament
8:00 pm Moonlight Ski with Kicking Horse Ski Club, meet at parking area at the bottom of the Yoho Valley Road
8:00 pm Pick-up Hockey Game at the rink
Saturday, February 3
9:00 am to 11:00 am – BOB (Breakfast on a Bun)
9:00 am to 1:00 – Bocce Tournament
11:00 am to 4:00 pm – Burgers and Hot Dogs
1:00 pm to 3:00 pm – Heritage Relay
3:00 pm to 6:00 pm – Bocce tournament
Mike and Jeremy to organize Bocce draw, with as many teams as feasible. Need to have strict timekeeping this year. And better weather than last year!
Craig to organize Heritage Relay.
9:00 pm to 1:00 am – Dance to “The Pickups Featuring Marty and Eli Beingessner” with “DJ Flintaroo” covering the breaks Admission Fee to Dance: $10
Sunday, February 4
10:30 am to noon – Breakfast on a Bun (BOB)
11:00 am to 3:00 pm – Bocce tournament
12:00 Noon – Kids Games and Relays
4:00 pm – Anything Goes Downhill Race from Cemetery to 1st Avenue on Stephen Creek Road
6:00 pm – Potluck Supper
Fire pit Restricted Activity Permit for 2018 FRAA events: Kathryn
Liquor license and order: Kathryn, Sonya. Locally, Golden BCLDB needs a heads up; like a couple of weeks to assemble an order for us; Nola manager at Golden BCLDB 250 344 7558.
Food purchase: Sally
Facebook Page: Mike
50/50 for event: Sonya
CBC Kelowna, Community Service Announcement – 2 weeks in advance of event: Kathryn
Communicate by email as events and Champions are confirmed.
8. Hall Bookings and Winter Programs
• Pond Hockey – January 19 and 20, 2018, organized by Kurt Devlin – way to go Kurt! FRAA will run bar. Bar sign-up sheets to be circulated. FRAA will pay volunteers to do the Serving it Right online course. Really good training for working bar shifts at community events.
• Happy Hour Yoga starts again January 24 to February 28, Wednesday evenings, 5:30 pm to 6:45 pm, $12 drop in fee or preregister for all six sessions $60. Contact Alana Jung at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Laura Penner from Lake Louise will offer Tabata classes (High Intensity Interval Training) Sunday evenings 6:30 pm with the first class on February 11, 2018. Details to be circulated and posted on the bulletin board.
• Karly will offer Sunday Start-Up Yoga in the community hall, starting January 13, 2018, by donation to cover utility costs. Sundays from 10:00 am to 11:00 am. Bring a mat and blanket. No class on January 21 or February 4.
• March 9th: wedding rehearsal dinner, party from Canmore.
9. Event Considerations
• Film Festival? Tabled to next meeting.
• Screen Olympic events like hockey, skating, ski cross, board cross? Final hockey games ? Maybe, if there’s interest.
• Vagina Monologues: Sonya, only in February no licensing fee. Tentative dates February 24 or March 10
10. Round Table
• Missing 2 microphone stands. Does anyone know where they are? Please return them to the hall if you borrowed them.
• Greg will repair the broken kitchen shelves and broken basement window
Meeting Adjourned at 9:25 pm.