Minutes from FCC and FRAA meetings.

Field Town Hall Meeting October 3, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting October 3, 2016

In Attendance: Ellen Francis, Alex Goatcher, Hélène Cassista, John Schlichting, Karla Gaffney, Betty Watson, Barbara McNeil, Sophie Cais, Ryan Cameron, Travis Wert, Michael Vanderveen, Kathryn Cameron, Kim Chapman, Claudia Harding, Sebastian Harbottle, Jeremy Schmidt, Helen Barry

Excused: Sally Watson, Craig Chapman, Tyra Cameron, Kat MacNeill, Karen Schmidt, Mike Legrice, Tanje Baker

  1. FRAA/FCC Report – Kathryn Cameron
  • Welcome to baby Sebastian Harbottle born August 8, 2016, and congratulations to Jamie, Claudia and Mikayla on your newest family member!
  • Canada Day Event: Great work by volunteers with BC Ambulance Service (pancake breakfast), FRAA (parade) and Field Fire and Rescue (barbeque at Yoho VRC pond). Final report submitted to Canadian Heritage mid-August, including event photos. The FRAA sponsored a Water Balloon Clean Up Contest, and awarded Super Soakers to the six participants. There are still remnants of water balloons along the parade route – don’t hesitate to pick them up when you see them.
  • Thank you from RCMP Victim Services in Golden for community support to the family and emergency services personnel when a child fell into the Yoho River at Takakkaw Falls the evening of July 8. We opened the Community Hall to the group, and provided blankets, sleeping bags and sleeping mats for their comfort during the initial stage of the search. The family expressed deep gratitude to the community of Field, especially to the two families who supplied dry clothing and footwear for two other children in the group who were rescued from the river. We offer condolences to the family in the death of their son.
  • Community Hall Update: Thank you to the people who came to the Work Party on September 19. Our new Sub Zero fridge was installed and the old fridge removed, major clean up in the kitchen, new bar fridge stocked. Cost of the new fridge covered by donation from the Friends of Yoho Pasta Supper in 2015. The remainder of the Friends’ donation will be used to purchase a new stove. Thank you again to the Friends of Yoho for their generosity.
  • Canada 150 Celebrations: Will dovetail with local anniversaries – Yoho Blow 40th, Friends of Yoho 30th, Kicking Horse Ski Club 30th. FRAA plans to apply for a Restricted Activity Permit for fireworks to ring in the New Year 2017.
  • Electric Car Recharge Station: Research ongoing.
  • East Link Cable Television Service: Contractors were in town to remove East Link Infrastructure in late September. Karla Gaffney working with Shaw to explore options in Field.
  • Mediation Process Requested by Ellen Francis: Welcome Barbara McNeil, and thank you for the time and energy you are investing to prepare for the mediation process. Barbara has attended the Field Recreation and Advisory Association/Field Community Council Regular Meeting (September 12) and the Field Utility Board and Liaison Meeting (September 21). This meeting rounds out the triumvirate of our meeting cycle that has normally taken place every two months.
  • MLA Norm MacDonald extends his appreciation to residents of Field for their support in his election for three terms to the BC Legislature. He will not run in the next provincial election in May 2017. He suggested finding out which organization is responsible for the playground in Parson.

Note: Alex Goatcher offered to stop in Parson on his way through the Columbia Valley this week. He sent photos showing the playground is owned and operated by the Columbia Shuswap Regional District (CSRD).

  • Field Elementary School: The first day of school was very quiet in Field this fall. The School District wants to remove the playground if the community is not able to assume responsibility for maintenance and insurance.
  • Coffee With Council: Informal opportunity September 17 to talk about what’s going on in the community was quite lovely. We’ll do it again.
  • Columbia Shuswap Regional District update: posted on bulletin board.
  • Rocky Mountain School District #6 will hold the first public consultation for their Draft Facilities Plan on October 4, 2016 7:00 pm at Golden Elementary School Kathryn to attend. The Draft Facilities Plan indicates the School District is in discussion with Parks Canada about the future of their lease and the two buildings (School and Teacherage). Confirmed by Ellen Francis.
  • Increase in Solid Waste Costs: To determine the increase in individual bills, compare the rate on your current bill to your previous bill. Residents understand that solid waste costs are fully paid by residents and businesses of Field, as legislated in the National Park Act.
  • Train Horns: Jeff Lahti found out that the Governing Body for the Village of Field (Parks Canada) can apply to Transport Canada for an exemption to cease the required four horn blasts (Long, Long, Short, Long) when a train will cross a federally regulated public railway crossing. Parks Canada has not received any written complaints about the numerous sound disruptions – day and night – caused by train horns. If the community wants action, residents need to put their concerns in writing to LLYKTownsites@pc.gc.ca
  • Scheduled Power Outage: Wednesday, October 19, 2016. BC Hydro will do upgrades to the Battery Storage Facility. There will be three 30 minutes outages that day – no battery backup during this work.
  • Annual General Meeting: November 14, 2016. Nomination forms will be available at the Post Office Monday, October 17. There are five positions available on the FRAA and five positions available on FCC. We have an excellent asset: Field Community Hall, and a really great community. Volunteers play critical roles in many organizations in Field, and are the best advocates/activists for education, safety, and community development. Interested in participating? Submit your nomination papers and join in the good work and fun with other committed residents.
  • Gravel Bed Rivers Presentation: November 23, 2016 at Whyte Museum of the Canadian Rockies in Banff, 7:00 pm, $10 admission, jointly hosted by Y2Y.
  1. Presentations

Solid Waste Presentation – Ellen Francis, Townsite Manager Parks Canada

A revised letter will be circulated to residents about the increase in solid waste costs, as requested by Field Community Council.

Council is concerned about:

  1. How the recycle bins are currently used: substantial number of wine and beer bottles are being put in the glass bin; paper and plastic are being put in the tin bin and vice versa;
  2. Large items dropped off by the garbage bins (i.e. mattresses, desks, old propane outdoor stoves), rather than taken to the CSRD landfill site in Golden, and;
  3. Are Yoho VRC solid waste costs included in the calculation of solid waste costs for the Village of Field?

For the system to function properly and to keep the community’s costs down, users need to put recyclable material in the appropriate bin, take refundable bottles and plastics to a depot, and take large items to the landfill. Ellen advised residents that the Town of Banff currently holds the contract to accept our recycle bin contents. For information on what is acceptable, please look at the Town Of Banff website: http://banff.ca/index.aspx?NID=407. To learn more about CSRD solid waste guidelines, please visit: http://www.csrd.bc.ca/services/solid-waste-recycling

Highway Operations Unit Winter Maintenance in the Village of Field – Michael Vanderveen

Handout distributed outlining service levels for winter road maintenance in the Field Unit, and specifically for the Village of Field. Copy attached with the minutes.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Tabled to AGM November 14, 2016
  1. RCMP Report – Sergeant Betty Watson
  • Watson took over responsibility for the Golden RCMP detachment in October 2015.
  • Criminal Code offenses in Field saw a minor increase from 3 reported offenses in 2015 to 5 reported offenses in 2016.
  • With improved cell phone coverage through Yoho National Park (cell tower in the Beaverfoot Valley and cell tower in Field) there has been a marked increase in the number of reports of unsafe drivers.
  • Golden Detachment now has a Traffic Analyst in the detachment; reduces length of road closures when there is a major incident to investigate.
  • Like many government departments the RCMP experience resource challenges. Currently understaffed, but anticipate the arrival of an experienced Corporal from Trail to fill a vacant position and new cadet to fill a Constable position very soon.
  • Thank you to Community for support offered to the family who lost their son to the Yoho River in July. Victim Services expressed gratitude for the compassionate response from Field. For more information about participating in RCMP Victim Services in Golden, we can contact Niela Wolf at the Golden Detachment Office.

Note: Thank you to the RCMP from the community of Field for leading the Canada Day parade this year, and the photo op offered to visitors to pose with members dressed in their iconic red serge uniforms!

  1. Parks Canada Reports

Townsite Manager – Ellen Francis

  • Residents can send comments to: LLYKTownsites@pc.gc.ca
  • Evaluation of supply/demand of public parking facilities (on-street and off-street). Staff with the Development Office is currently reviewing the provisions of the Field Community Plan (Amended 2010) and Land Use Directive (2010) to better understand the regulatory requirements that influence successful commercial and residential development in Field. The Field Unit is considering whether a formal analysis of current parking supply and projected demand under various redevelopment scenarios would be necessary in the near future. Any comments from FCC regarding the existing number, type(s) and condition of existing on-street stalls and off-street parking lots would be greatly appreciated (please identify priorities areas/items), as well as recommendations about the scope of analysis/review (i.e. commercial downtown, residential guest homes, hotels, hostels, information centre, parking on CPR lands, etc.) would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hélène Cassista will work with FCC to organize Town Walk About, and will include Development Officers. Note: Town Walk About scheduled for October 18, 2016; 9:00 am start at Yoho Admin.
  • Spring bin to be organized for May/June 2017. This is not a free service; cost will be reflected in solid waste fees.
  • Canada150 Branding: contact information for Canadian Heritage sent to FCC by Marthe Boissonnault. Parks Canada will provide banners; design and installation to be determined.
  • Streetlights and nighttime safety: If you see that a light is burned out, please contact Hélène Cassista. Parks Canada will look at need for additional light between intersection of 1st Avenue and 1st Street, and the Fire Hall. Townsite Office will consult Fire Chief.
  • Residents requested predictable access to 6A-30 key to open the gate at the west end of town to drop green waste (garden waste) once the Visitor Centre is closed for the winter season. Hélène Cassista to determine schedule.

Highway Service Centre – Michael Vanderveen

  • Rock Scaling Update: Project proceeding well; delays significantly shorter than expected. For current information visit drivebc.ca. If you want to receive email notifications from the Field Unit, please send an email to tania.peters@pc.gc.ca to be added to the mail list.
  • Other projects underway: Replacing seven culverts under the TransCanada Highway in Yoho, starting with one to the East of Field near the Yoho pit and west to the park boundary; adding diversions where needed. Removing accumulated material from avalanche gully and berm on Mt. Stephen.
  • Working on an Environmental Assessment on milled asphalt. The product was used on 2nd Avenue in Field. Residents not impressed with the product. Report to be presented at the next meeting.

Asset Management – Travis Wert

  • Mount Dennis and 2nd Avenue: Dewatering Mt. Dennis seems to be going well. Monitoring ongoing. Looking at diversion work to move water west of Waste Water Treatment Plant. Consultant from Tetra Tec has been on site, completed draft report but not ready to share. Seem to have stepped back from original claims; situation now seen as less catastrophic.
  • Fire Hall Roof: Contractor on site to make temporary repairs.
  • Consultant has been retained to assess operational space at Boulder Creek, Fire Hall, etc.
  • Yoho Trading Post site now on Contaminated Site Index; eligible for funding. Assessment to be conducted on site in fall.
  • Superintendent’s Residence: Work to be done on electrical, heating and building envelope in the fall. Stringent guidelines for Federal Heritage Building. Green technology project would provide few benefits for very costly initiatives like wind or solar power, or geothermal heat.
  • Federal Infrastructure Initiatives (FII) Funding for Staff Accommodation in Field to replace Boulder Creek Bunkhouse: Lots have been identified for flexible housing to replace the bunkhouse. Concepts in development. May see something in next construction season. Proposal resubmitted today to National Office for FII funds to do maintenance on all Parks Canada housing in Field. Some budget increases made for urgent work. Note: Housing is critical to overall function of operations in Yoho National Park.

Visitor Experience – No Report

Resource Conservation – No Report

  1. Friends of Yoho – Helen Barry, President

The Friends of Yoho had a busy season in the store, and hosted some great programs this summer as well. Historic Walking Tours of Field were offered twice a week from late June to early September. There were two Full Moon Hikes. Parks Day Celebrations included a “S’Mores” event. Sweet. History of the CPR Course was offered again in summer 2016.

  1. Field Fire and Rescue

Since last report we have had 11 callouts: 9 motor vehicle collisions; 1 motor vehicle fire; 1 water rescue assist. Turnout to all calls was adequate. No serious injuries.

Equipment

New purchases – electric positive pressure fan, which will complement the gas powered EPP fan. Key components required for an offensive attack on a single-family building.

Training

In house training has been concentrating on exterior fire attack.

Members sent to: Rapid Intervention Team – for a rescue team inside a structure fire; Live Fire 3; Fire Service Instructor One

Membership is low right now- roster has 18 (including part time members who are only in Field occasionally) and due to various circumstances (including seasonal membership) lost 3 fire fighters. Minimum membership is 16. If anyone knows someone interested in joining, please send him or her our way.

  1. Roundtable

Karla Gaffney shared a letter dated September 2, 2016 from the Diocese of Nelson to Parks Canada stating that all attempts had been made to assign the former Catholic Church property, unsuccessfully. Consequently the Diocese has advised Parks Canada they have decided “to demolish the property and relinquish our lease . . “. Discussion was held about heritage values, different assessments of the state of the building, zoning restrictions, and the diminishing pool of volunteers to take on big community projects. No resolutions offered.

Meeting adjourned at 9:10 pm.

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regular Meeting September 12, 2016

field-recreation-and-advisory-association-and-field-community-council-regular-meeting-september-12-2016

Field Town Hall Meeting June 27, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting June 27, 2016 7:00 pm.

In Attendance: Jeremy Schmidt, Kathryn Cameron, Sally Watson, Kim Chapman, Ellen Francis, Keith Batstone, Elaine Lemieux, David Allen, Chris Allen, Ryan Cameron, Myles Dickinson, Sophie Cais, Jamie Harbottle

  1. Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Report

1.1 Welcome to Field’s newest resident, baby Noa Lily Oesa Morrison, and congratulations to Matt, Julie and Liam on the new addition to their family.

1.2 Spring Fling, May 29: Thank you to everyone who helped organize, decorate, work bar shifts and make food! Great event to welcome summer. Good music from DJ Flinataroo, lots of dancing, good turnout.

1.3 John Jenkins and Small Town Revival, with Slade Coffman CD Release Party, June 10: Exciting event to showcase local talented young man, Slade Coffman. FRAA have booked Small Town Revival for the Yoho Blow in January 2017. Great dance music!

1.4 Garden Party, June 19: Organized by Maggie Fields, 10th annual progressive garden revue. Superb event with excellent food, stories and visiting.

1.5 Field Elementary School, Celebrating the Life of One of Canada’s Smallest Schools, June 25: Amazing attendance, wonderful but bittersweet event. Many of the first graduating class, and four former teachers Mr. and Mrs. McLaren (from Quadra Island) and Mr. and Mrs. Kingham (from Victoria) attended. Great presentations. Great fun. Lots of shared stories. Sept. 1960 was the start of the school ski program, the first in British Columbia – a legacy for the school that continued into the last year. Madame Rebecka, Abby, Thomas and Axel shared their final year at Field Elementary. Former teachers tested the audience’s knowledge of some exciting events in the school’s history – the audience knew a lot – and the teachers were revealed! Touching slide show; there were a few teary eyes in the gym. Superb concert style event at the school. A big Thank You to the volunteers; we fed over 200 people at the pot luck supper at the Community Hall. Great community spirit. Everyone played a role in the success. Volunteers in this community are outstanding. Demographics of the community now are the big factor in the school closing this year. The students who came to this school in 1960 lived in families supported by union jobs with Canadian Pacific or the Parks Service and there was affordable housing in Field. The issues we have been talking about in reference to community sustainability are really highlighted by the school closing at the end of this school year.

1.6 Upcoming event, Party on High Street, June 29: Talent show and Live Music 8 to 12 am. Hosted by Emerald Lake Lodge staff – it’s their summer kick off! Everyone welcome.

1.8 Congratulations to this year’s Golden Secondary School grads: Stephen Young and Naomi Lenstra!

1.9 Canada Day July 1: Events start at 8:30 with a Pancake breakfast courtesy of BC Ambulance Service; 11:00 Parade; 11:30 Barbeque courtesy Field Fire and Rescue. 12:30 – Family bocce, cake and ice cream, tons of fun. Super soaker contest for people who pick up the most spent water balloons!

1.10 School Playground: MLA Norm MacDonald called to say thank you to the residents of Field for the overwhelming support he received from the community in the past four provincial elections. He won’t run in the next election; he said he always wanted to finish his work years as a teacher so plans to return to the classroom rather than stay in politics. He said the School District continues to maintain Columbia Valley School in Parson, including the tennis court, and skating rink; he thinks the playground is still in place as well. He suggested we look at Parson Columbia Valley School as a model. Sally is in discussion with our insurer in the interim. Their big question is: Why would we insure an asset that we don’t own or have responsibility over? We insure the ski trails but the Field Ski Club is under the umbrella of the FRAA, so we have an affiliation with them but not with School District 6. Ellen Francis is working on Parks Canada responsibilities for the lease and occupation of the site, zoned as institutional.

Note: Kathryn to call Paul Carriere Superintendent of Rocky Mountain SD 6 to follow up on information about Parson school facilities.

1.11 Bar Fridge: Not worth repairing. Moved it out onto the porch for next step in disposal process. Making do without it right now by using coolers and bus pans filled with ice. A new fridge is coming from Coca-Cola at no cost. Dave and Jeremy to look at options for disposal of old fridge: landfill or contact Larry Magnuson who has a recycle operation.

1.12 Canada 150 Grant: How can we celebrate Canada’s sesquicentennial and leave a legacy? Over the weekend we started discussion and research on installing an electric car charging station in Field, maybe in the parking lot behind the lodge. Claudia to continue research, and if possible submit a grant application for Phase 2 of a BC Hydro program that has an application deadline of June 30, 2016.

1.13 2017: Yoho Blow turns 40, Kicking Horse Ski Club turns 30 and the Friends Of Yoho turn 30 so we have big celebrations coming up. Thinking about applying for a Restricted Activity Permit for fireworks for New Years Eve this year to ring in this big year and next year to end the celebration. Not a lot of newborn animals and birds in the dead of winter to be disrupted by a fireworks event, good chance to secure a RAP.

1.14 Discussion with Melanie: To talk to her about the future of Coffee with the Superintendent, scheduled for July 6. Council feels that it’s a valuable resource to get to know each other, and build understanding. We will implement Coffee with the Council to give residents the chance to get together in an informal setting to talk about life in Field and discuss what we can do as community members to enhance a pretty special life style. Watch your email – Council will keep you posted.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

Financials attached. Motion to accept Jeremy and seconded by Kathryn. Carried.

  1. RCMP Report

No RCMP member present. Sgt. Betty Watson has indicated the RCMP will be here for the parade on Canada Day.

      4. Townsite Manager’s Report

4.1Townsite Manager Ellen Francis introduced Keith Batstone, the new Senior Development Officer. Kathleen Wilker (not present) will work as a Development Officer to help with the current large workload in the Development Office. Welcome Keith and Kathleen!

4.2 Budget: Getting the figures together. Some information is not finalized; once complete the Budget needs to be reviewed before release.

Note: In discussion about privacy and information currently included in the budget, Council stated that if there is 100% cost recovery for water, sewer and garbage, then there must be 100% disclosure of costs. Parks Canada salaries are available online in collective agreements.

4.3 Field Solid Waste: Parks Canada Agency (PCA) has reviewed our actual numbers for providing the solid waste service to the community of Field. In 2015/16, we invoiced the community $41,418. Our actual costs were closer to $49,763 in 2015/16. Our projected costs for 2016/17 are looking to be $49,910. The 2015/16 deficit appears to come in at  ($8,271) added to the 2016/17 budget for operations equals $58,181. This is the unconfirmed amount that will be cost recovered from the community of Field in 2016/17. This is effectively a 40% increase in rates. So, if a resident was paying $16.83/month in 2015/16, they will be paying $23.56/month in 2016/17.

4.4 Water and Sewer: PCA will most likely continue to cap water and sewer rates at $1.77 for water and $5.67 for sewer for 2016/17. These rates are being assessed to determine how they may change going forward. It is estimated that PCA will pay $57,000 for the municipal subsidy (determined by the Nichols Report 2014) in 2016/17 and an additional $29,000 subsidy to keep the water and sewer rates from going up in 2016/17.

There are a handful of leaseholders who have not provided PCA access to inspect water meters and to install digital meters. Over the summer, we will issue one final registered letter to set up an appointment to do this work. If the appointment is not honoured, PCA will move to cut off water supply to these residences until which time the matter is resolved.

It is our goal to have all water, sewer, and solid waste budget numbers confirmed in the next two weeks.

Note: Two residents indicated they had received their registered letters after the date specified for the digital meters to be installed in their homes. Post Office in Field will remain open in the event of a labour dispute between Canada Post and Canadian Union of Postal Workers. Recommended that Parks Canada use the Field Post Office for sending registered letters to Field residents since there is no external transportation needed to move the mail from sender to receiver other than the local employee. Mail sent from Lake Louise travels to Calgary for processing.

4.5 Drainage Issues on 1st and 2nd Avenues: Dave Allen has been monitoring spring ditch flows. Assets Management continues to seek anecdotal evidence to further define problem and will arrange a meeting to uncover useful information.

4.6 Tree Removal from Power Line Between Field and Energy Storage Facility (ESF): BC Hydro vegetation maintenance on the entire line is scheduled for late fall 2016, and will work with Parks Canada for approval of hazard tree removal in Yoho National Park.

4.7 Energy Storage Facility: Parks Canada has approved and issued a building permit for BC Hydro to replace the generator at the ESF. BC Hydro anticipates all work at the ESF will be complete by the end of the summer.

4.8 Update Community Emergency Plan: Day to day emergency operations work well. The Community Emergency plan addresses how to manage in the event of a major disaster. Parks Canada is working with provincial authorities to update emergency plans for both Lake Louise and Field, looking at reciprocal agreements and existing models. Some Field residents have been invited to participate in Lake Louise process currently underway.

4.9 Town Walk About: Elaine Lemieux to coordinate date with Council, Keith and Kathleen.

4.10 Lot Release: PCA feels that since there are currently 3 to 4 houses and an empty lot for sale in Field there is no lot release planned. Lot release process is very time consuming and expensive. Anyone who is interested in a lot can approach Elaine Lemieux to discuss options.

Note: Council suggested that a lot release could generate interest and excitement for people who are interested in building a home here and joining in the community. There is potential for community and economic development through a lot release process that could be a good investment for Parks Canada and the community.

4.11 Solid Waste Signage and Education: Council has asked for presentation by Solid Waste on what can be put in which bin to avoid contamination that undermines benefits of sorting recyclable material. As solid waste from Field ends up in Town of Banff facilities, Ellen Francis is reaching out to see what information is shared with others who use the same service provider.

4.12 Stephen Creek Sediment Trap: Update to be provided by end of 2016.

4.13 Warning Signs at Water Treatment Facility: The situation has been reviewed by security consultants. They have provided a preliminary report that is under consideration – more research is needed to identify solutions that will work in the location.

4.14 Train Horns: Ellen noted that Field Community Council is not asking that CP deal with this crossing in a different way. FCC indicated that their wish is that train horns be kept as the lowest possible decibels and least number of sounds.

4.15 Missing Minutes of past FUB/Liaison Meetings: A draft copy of minutes from the January 20, 2016 meeting were given to Council at the FUB on June 20, 2016.

4.16 Spreadsheet of Annual Revenue and Expenses for the Village of Field: FCC requested that PCA provide a spreadsheet of the total cost of operating the village of Field to which Ellen Francis replied that PCA has no capacity nor resources at this time to pull this information together. She further noted that this type of information would be easier to pull together for the costs recovered vs. not recovered as it is not measured not kept track of. Ellen suggested that should FCC want to pursue this avenue to prioritize their request.

4.17 Prescribed Burn Plans for 2016: Ellen reported that the prescribed burn team is in full swing with the summer season but that a list will be provided to FCC. She further added that PCA will look to providing an information update at the September 26, 2016 Town Hall Meeting.

4.18 Plans for School Building and Teacherage: PCA and the school district have started preliminary discussions on the future of the school building and Teacherage; no decisions have been made to date. Examining a collective list of questions and determining what Parks Canada will cover in the interim period.

4.19 Release of Doll House: This file is currently with Assets Management team. The Doll House has been added to the housing project analysis.

4.20 2017 Canada 150 Branding: The Department of Canadian Heritage is leading this project and information will be shared when available.

  1. Highway Service Centre Report

5.1 Street Sweeping: Sweeping should be complete in Field.

Note: The entrance road from the bridge to the train track crossing has not been swept, nor has the Field VRC parking lot been swept.

5.2 Road Painting: Painting in town (Field) today, but may have a few more things to do still.

Note: Town still needs stop lines at intersections. Spiral Tunnels parking lot needs to be painted.

5.3 Paving: Fresh asphalt on the Field Hill by the Rock Scaling at Sherbrook Creek.  Some guardrail work will be done here shortly as well.

5.4 Emerald Lake Road is almost complete as far as paving and painting. Looks like a few more things to do there still before it is all finished.

Note: Concern expressed by residents that parking by the Hamilton Falls/Lake trailhead is now parallel parking rather than angle parking, determined by new curb. The Emerald Lake parking lot is already too small, so losing those stalls compounds the parking problem there. Can Land Use Planning look at opening the old horse stable site for parking?

  1. Field Fire and Rescue

6.1 Call Outs: Since last report FFR has responded to one Motor Vehicle Accident and one grass/brush fire in town where the exterior of a home was damaged. Fire Chief issued a reminder on how to burn properly and safely: do not leave fires unattended and do not burn close to facilities.

6.2 Membership is good. Many returning seasonal staff who are trained and qualified to respond to call outs. In summer there are lots of staff in town to respond. All members have an app on their phones now that indicate their availability for calls; valuable tool to know how many fire fighters are able to attend a call out.

6.3 Training: Members are doing a lot of training. Fire Chief attended a railway fire-training program in Colorado in May, sponsored by CP Rail. Currently sharing the knowledge with FFR members. Excellent course in an excellent facility. Fire Chiefs and Training Officers from across Canada are training at the centre in Colorado. Big initiative, valuable resource.

6.3 Fire Underwriters paid a visit to Field to assess facilities and the program. Determined that Field is well protected. We will confirm our grading and any changes hopefully by around January.

Note: Thank you to volunteer members of our department, and thank you to Parks Canada for funding the team.

  1. Round Table: Post office will be open in event of strike or lock out. Mail will probably not move in or out of town, but only within town itself.

Meeting adjourned at 9:00 pm.

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regualr Meeting June 6, 2016

field-recreation-and-advisory-association-and-field-community-council-regular-meeting-june-6-2016

Field Town Hall Meeting May 16, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting May 16th 2016

Kathryn Cameron: Welcome – good turn out.

Change in FCC – Craig stepping down as Chair; Kathryn has taken on role as chair and Claudia as secretary until August.

  • FRAA

Great events over the last few months – thanks Tyra and Kat for the hard work. Great Easter potluck and egg hunt!

Upcoming events.

May 29th (Sunday) – Spring fling – A welcome all the summer staff from the local businesses and a welcome to the summer season. Flint will be the DJ

June 19th (Sunday) – Garden Party – Maggie is organizing. Please contact if you would like to be a host . Progressive Party that moves around town. Theme is pink and purple in honor of Miki Morency.

June 25th (Saturday) – School Celebration – Check the village of Field Facebook page for the schedule of events. Doors will open at 1pm and at 2pm there will be a presentation along the same lines as the school Christmas concert. Everyone is welcome to contribute. Please feel free to contact Madame Rebecca – expect the ‘concert’ to be around 2 hours long. Lots of former students, pictures, etc. Then move to the community hall for potluck – bring salads and veggies and deserts. Meat will be provided. Does anyone have school pictures from when you were at school here? Hall will be decorated like a school classroom.

Sue La rose is choreographing a performance for all former teachers

June 29th (Wednesday) – Emerald Lake is renting the Community Hall for a Band and Dance.

July 1st (Friday) – Canada day – $440 grant – anyone have any ideas? Ambulance puts on breakfast and FFR puts on lunch. Face painting. Any people and businesses in town who want to have a float be here at the town hall AT 11AM.

A yoga retreat took place over the weekend – great revenue.

Enola Nygren interested in doing a yoga retreat for the community, maybe in August.

Friends of Yoho is renting the hall June 23rd and 24th – for train event

  • June 6th AGM- will be held at the picnic tables 5pm – wiener roast in the plaza.
  • July 1st – Historic Walking tour start for summer – Thursdays and Tuesdays 8pm
  • July and August – full moon walks
  • July 18th Parks Day – Sweets and S’mores
  • Will send out an email with a list of all events.
  • FCC

Thanks to the Highways team that came in and cleaned up around town.

Yoho Trading Post opened on May 13th under the same management. Opening was delayed from expected May 1st due to pump installation issues. Still sharing Burgess Shale accommodation with guides. Unsure what the plan with the property is – still in overhold. PC is now actively looking into it. Concerns from the community about being closed for the winter as it made Field looked derelict. What influence can PC have over ensuring the gas station is open over the winter? Can we give an incentive?

Field Fire and Rescue Society is to take over care of school playground – in communication with the school. Question from Ellen re: liability – Sally is absent, but will inform community once she returns as to whether the FCC insurance would cover it. It does currently cover events held at school etc. Ellen has concerns about liability as the school is leasing the land from Parks Canada.

  • Treasurer’ Report

Sally is away – she will have a report for the next town meeting which is on June 27th.

  • RCMP

Absent

  • Townsite Manager – Ellen Francis

Townsites team primarliy based out of LL – we are growing (after shrinking); bringing in new development officers. Hopefully this will help us get through the projects proposed for the Field Unit.

At June meeting would be a good time for FCC to talk about housing etc. Wants to understand in general what some longer term projects are in the community – discuss next meeting.

Sheila – waste water management – has looked into concerns re: security breach – we have reviewed with PC security consultants – who have released a preliminary report currently under review.

Solid waste – doing some work (no Field hanges) – looking at how charges are pulled together – might be something that comes up at the utility board meeting (could be pricing changes; increase or decrease)

Emergency plans for Field – hasn’t been updated in about 10 years. Looking to update and add any missing pieces – PC will be looking at possible changes and how to communicate it to community. Should be discussed by fall.

Trains – whistling – what do people think? Ellen – if we don’t want the whistle to sound it would require PC to build a crossing structure – which will have a cost associated. PC will not pursue unless we hear about the whistling. Kathryn – why do we have different whistles – e.g. short, short, long, short. What is their protocol? Can we go with the minimum.   Karla – says relates to Morse code indicating the Queen is present. CP has had a safety person come through (same as Golden Canyon issue). Solution may be noisier than what we have – e.g., bells. At this stage Ellen is going to investigate minimum requirements.

  • Highway Service Centre – Mike Vanderveen

Will be replacing the damaged bins tomorrow! Just need to get pads in . Q re: how it happened – plough driver hit it at slow speed. Elaine Lemieux will install information stickers. Highways will be paying for the bins, not the residents of Field as per usual.

Phase one painting of lines done

Lots more sweeping of shoulders to do.

Dave – signs on the highway that bear the brunt of the winter weather – are they being replaced? Some – Highways just deals with regulatory signs. Other signs belong to the Field Unit.

  • Visitor Experience

Michael St Denis absent. Ellen Francis speaking on his behalf.

Yoho Valley sign replacement will be completed this summer. New signs will also be installed at the Lake O’Hara staging area.

Request for Illegal camping to be formally reported as anecdotally PC cannot do anything. PC is looking for alternatives to the current formal system which is to report to Banff Dispatch. At this stage continue with this until we have an alternative. Put up a poster on community board so everyone knows how to report.

  • Resource Conservation

No report

  • Presentation Highway Service Centre

Please see attached slideshow with information on Highways infrastructure investment program.

GUEST: Marnie DiGiandomenico

Main points. No delays expected in July an August. Work should start Early June. Major delays will be posted one week in advance on Parks Website.

PC website has a construction link – with information re: work, closures expected delays etc. PC is hoping to get message out to visitors to really plan ahead. If you are not on the mailing list would like to be added let Elaine Lemieux know. Mountain Park website covers the entire Mt Park infrastructure projects – not just highways – includes campground closures etc. Can be a day or two behind because of translation required. But 511 and Drive BC should be immediate for up to date information.

If there are questions that are not being addresses – please let Lindsey know so that it can be addressed.

Rock scaling:

Will have to schedule 90-minute delays about a week in advance. Subject to changes and delays e.g. CP rail and unexploded dynamite) 90 minute is worst case scenario – should be about 60 minutes, but 90 minutes covers unanticipated delays

No rock scaling in JULY AND AUGUST.

Design for the next stretch of highway twinning has a two year widow to complete intermediate design of the twinning of the highway. At this stage there is no confirmed ending as looking into safest end point (could be as far as the Spiral Tunnels)

  • Assets

Monarch culvert project: We replaced a couple of culverts already – replacing a 3rd one – took longer to get through the design phase – will hopefully done by late fall.

Replace bunkhouse with accommodation directly within the community of Field: Was originally set up to be done out of Calgary office – but trying to repatriate back to field unit. Kurt Devlin will hopefully be project lead – bringing it back will have more community consultation. Will have 24 beds. Multi building structure.

Smaller projects – (many small projects not approved) – has doubled housing maintenance budget and hopefully we can chip away at small projects.

Field Fire Hall: Roof issues – wants to get FFR department to look at Radium’s new Fire

hall to see what works, and to think about new plans for the Fire Hall – a new structure.

Superintendent’s home: Part of a green pilot project Kurt Devlin and Karen Lassen are project coordinators   – new green technologies, more affordable to heat. Hopefully will be operational before the winter hits.

Standing maintenance of the bridges: Vehicle bridges – ongoing.

1st and 2nd avenue drainage: Put a lot of time and brain power into trying to understand the problem. Contractor who did the work had some ideas – execution didn’t work. Put in time monitoring – what water is ending up where. Drain seems to be working well. In fall water is still pooling but not going into the culvert. Wants to have an anecdotal sit down conversation – e.g. Chuck working up there and things got worse. If anyone thinks that they have any value/information to add. One evening sit down over coffee potential option. Dave Allen is going to try and corral people and come up with a time over the next couple of weeks – please contact Dave to arrange a time if you are impacted.

Kathryn – Could we get a hydrologist to come and have a look? Mt Dennis issue related? Travis – Clearing of clay barrier seems to be when there was an issue (poorly preforming ditch removed) Monitoring phase trying to get to complexity of the issue – no historical analysis

Q – when was the original waterworks decommissioned( CP’s for the water tower)? Not known

Mt Dennis Slope Stabilization has been far more successful; seems to be working. Largest concern – slide that would choke up cemetery bridge and cause flooding. Lots of deadfall in the creek – has its own difficulties. Travis has been on a couple of site visits. PC has challenged their network. A couple of clay slopes on top of shale – constantly in migration downhill. Monitoring network – only put in these two clay fields. Have forced the to put on in the ‘tree island’. Have put identified monitoring network and will be monitoring monthly until November. Measuring stake movement. Dave is on site with contractors. Any changes PC will let us know. As of yet no concerns. This will allow to see changes from frozen ground in winter– to wet ground in summer– to dry ground in October. The emergency dewatering of slope (with two pits): upper one is functioning – surface run off – filling up. Currently not much if any water is flowing through lower pit. But did catch some water. Pipe itself has receive some damage – had discussions with consultant – toed into river – to avoid drop and erosion. Also discussed hazardous trees – will have to monitor further – as it sits right now might provide ore protection. Maintenance program will be kept up. Appreciate any feedback/concerns – more data always helpful. This is the monitoring phase (after emergency phase) will then see what else needs to be done.

Can we communicate that to community? Travis will come chat/Dave can come chat/ Ellen can pass on, even to know status quo.

  • Field Fire and Rescue Department

Callouts:

Fire:1 at Emerald Lake Lodge maintenance facility

MVA:3

Hazmat:1

Emerald Lake Fire:

Cause determined as propane explosion from faulty garage heater. No fatalities. ~1 miillion dollars damage. 2 structures saved, the waste water sewage plant and bell hut. 8 members responded from Field Fire. 18 hours total call out time. Lake Louise Fire assisted for 4 hours. BCAS, RCMP, Canwest Propane, and Parks Canada aquatics specialist.

Training:

Spring CSRD training up and running. Members will be attending: Exterior Fire, Strategy and Tactics; Apparatus Pump Operator; Wild Land Fire (with Parks Canada); Structural Protection Unit; Special CP rail, crude oil by rail training in Denver Colorado; In house training concentrating on structure fires; Live burn in Nicholson.

Membership:

19 Fire Fighters; 2 former members returning for the summer: Meghan Beamish and Tina Deenik

2 new members; Maggie and Hollie finished recruit training.

Equipment:

Received new Ford 550 with old rescue box March 1.

All trucks in full service …yippee!

FCC: Thanks for all the work you do.

Ellen: In response to ” Has there been any more thought on the Fulltime Fire Chief Position?” There have been tweaks to the agreement from past years – to stay within the budget that we have. Outside of the budget is all of the infrastructure. For this year things will remain status quo but will look at it in the future alongside emergency service planning. Concern regarding burn out for volunteers – and at the moment the duties of the Chief is far more than is reasonable for a volunteer that works full-time and has a family.

  • Round Table

Reschedule FUB from June 15 to June 22nd

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regular Meeting April 25, 2016

FRAA and FCC Meeting April 25th  2016, 7pm

In attendance: Kathryn Cameron, Jeremy and Karen Schmidt, Sally Watson, Kim Chapman, Claudia Harding, Tyra Cameron and Katherine MacNeill

Pierre Lemire made a presentation to FCC and FRAA about his concerns as to the progress with mitigation to the Mt Dennis Slump area?

  • Brought images from 70’s of slide from Mt Stephen on to CP rail tracks and also brought photos of current area of concern.
  • Has been up to slumping area recently and says it appears that about 50% of the water has so far been diverted. It seems that one reservoir is working and the other is not,
  • Has concern about damage to pipes – large avalanche covered pipes during the winter and big boulder was moved and appears to have slightly damaged.
  • There was an alternative solution, put forward in proposal, why was this not used? Is it in relation to the cost?
  • Pierre suggested the addition of several small pipes to drain off the water that does not appear to have been diverted.
  • Wants to the community to continue to follow progress of project and ensure that Parks Canada is doing everything they can to mitigate risk to the town of Field.
  • Questions to ask PC –
    • Why was alternate solution not implemented – is it due to cost?
    • Are you satisfied with the amount of water that is being captured – do you feel that this makes the slump area ‘safe’/stable?
    • How much has been spent on the project so far? What is the budget limit?
    • Who is responsible if something fails?
    • If this doesn’t work – does PC have an exit strategy for the village of Field?
    • The reservoir that doesn’t appear to be filling; is it working? If not – what will be done to improve its function?
    • Where is monitoring at? Can Travis present the updates at the next town meeting?
    • Can we remove some of the larger trees to reduce the risk of damage to the pipe?

FRAA

EASTER

  • Good Job Tyra and Kat .
  • Please send any photos to Kathryn for Craig to put up on village of Field Website/Facebook page and to keep for a ‘scrapbook’
  • Were able to keep costs down by reusing decorations

SPRING FLING

  • May 29th (Sunday)
  • Need to organize a DJ – last year Kirk volunteered services. Lets talk to Flint and see what he would charge. Otherwise the same DJ as was used for Yoho Blow. Kat and Tyra will organize
  • Make sure Emerald Lake and Cathedral Lodge staff are fully aware of this so that we can get the numbers up. Does Emerald Lake have more than one shuttle?
  • Make a poster to put up in town and Emerald and Cathedral – Kat and Tyra will organize
  • Food
    • pulled pork sliders were great last year, but this year let’s try something simpler that is easier in terms of food safety – maybe hot dogs. Kim will organize.
    • Liquor license – Sally will be away – so Tyra will organize with help of Kim and Karen
  • Decorations
    • Disco light (in cupboard near kitchen?)
    • Tickle trunk and photo corner to encourage people to take photos (similar to Mike and Charisse’s wedding)
    • Tissue paper ball decorations – Karen

SCHOOL EVENT

  • June 25th (Saturday)
  • School has plans for what the kids are going to do in preparation
  • Back to Community Hall for community gathering after school stuff is done
  • What time will it start? Community Hall will open doors at 5pm.
  • Potluck Salad/Deserts. Community will provide Beef or Turkey
  • Admission by donation
  • Kathryn will organize liquor license
  • Will need volunteers – lets ask past and present parents of the school
  • Sid estimates 70-75 people coming from outside the community
  • It has been posted on the ‘I Lived in Field’ Facebook page
  • Mike will make a Facebook event for the Potluck
  • Kathryn will touch base with Sid and the School – as it is a co-hosted event between the School and the FRAA
  • Decorations
    • Old School images (bring from the school to the hall)
    • Old class photos
    • Guest book (maybe Jamie Frazer book from the siding)
    • Talk to Edwin Knox, Pierre Lemire, Sue Larose and Debbie Bancroft re: photos
    • Some photos hanging at Lady Gray
    • Use Field Kids past and present projects to decorate
    • Ask Madame Rebecca for some bulletin board borders to decorate the Hall like a school classroom
  • Special invite for all past teachers – ask the school board to contact them

 

CANADA DAY

  • $440 to spend (for balloons, cake, ice cream, 3 bottle of helium, prizes, advertising)
  • Compare helium pricing at Home Depot – with Costco
  • Kids’ adventure race – like a scavenger hunt but with activities – down by the pond/ball diamond
  • Family bocce tournament
  • Need to think about how to get people involved in the parade
    • Invite business to participate, include Emerald Lake Lodge/ GDL/ Cathedral/Lake O’Hara Lodge
    • Make it a challenge with a prize for winning Entry
  • Make sure that everyone involved in water balloon fight picks up empty balloons – could have a sign up sheet with a prize for the most balloons collected e.g. a super soaker.

SCHOOL PIANO

  • Who owns the Piano? Does the school and if so – do they want to keep it to move it? – Talk to Vivian.

SCHOOL PLAYGROUND

  • Fire department society has volunteered to look after the playground if it means the school will allow the equipment to remain.
  • They will need to be told what checks, certification and maintenance is required
  • Parks Canada has two maintenance kits – they can get equipment from Blue Imp if required
  • Does the FCC insurance cover the playground? Sally to investigate. If not do we need to put up signage?

ROUND TABLE

GARDEN PARTY

  • Is Maggie hosting the party this year – or was last year her last year?
  • When would it fall? Around the Solstice – so weekend of the 17/18 or 24/25 (school celebration is on the 25th)

FCC

ROLES

  • Craig has stepped down from his position as Chair. Kathryn has taken on this role and Claudia has taken on the role of secretary until August.

LETTER FROM ENVIRONMENT MINISTER

  • Think about a response to this
  • PC says revenue is up 20% and we are expecting another big year and looking to encourage visitation in shoulder/off season for the 2017 Canada celebrations
  • Doesn’t take into account aging ski club and that Friends of Yoho aren’t happy ‘covering’ for parks during the winter

MEDIATION

  • Kathryn to send email to Ellen to accept mediation
  • Need to ensure FCC moves as a unit
  • Express that we have a functioning model
  • Need to make our Qs for Ellen more focused, but also need for follow up as it has been a year since some items were added to the agenda.
  • Sally will be away May 11-20 and June 8-13 – normally has weekends and every second Friday off
  • Jeremy switches from Mon-Thursday work to Sunday to Wednesday after May long weekend
  • Kathryn Wed/Thursday off but has a flexible schedule
  • Claudia not working until June 13- but ideally would work best on a day Jamie can care for Mikayla
  • Wait for Ellen to suggest a date and then counter if required – possibly an evening would work best.

BINS

  • 6 week delivery was estimated March 14th so should arrive end of April. Follow up for a timeline.

WALK AROUND TOWN

  • Add to FUB
  • Generally takes place 1st week in June with Elaine Lemieux
  • Bring outstanding items from past Walks

YOHO TRADING POST

  • Have new pumps. Opening May 1st

STREET SWEEPER

  • Scheduled for 2 weeks earlier than last year. Send Elaine Lemieux an email asking for a date
  • (should be early May based on email from April 19th stating 2 weeks from then)

HIGHWAY (information from email)

  • Trans-Canada Highway Construction in Banff and Yoho national parks
    These projects, and the estimated impacts on motorists, include:

    Yoho National Park
    Rock Slope Stabilization – This work will occur in various locations
    between Wapta Lake and the Yoho west boundary. No blasting will occur in
    July and August, or over long weekends. Outside of those months, work will
    occur from approximately April to October, seven days a week, 24 hours a
    Expect delays from Monday to Thursday throughout the project duration
    as follows: two closures of up to 90 minutes per day between 7 a.m. and 11
    a.m.; and one closure of up to 90 minutes between 7 p.m. and 7 a.m. In
    addition, travellers should expect occasional delays of up to 60 minutes
    from Monday to Saturday.

    * Please note that to safely accommodate rock blasting, the Spiral Tunnels
    Viewpoint is presently closed until the end of June, 2016.

    Yoho National Park
    Paving – Work will occur in September and October between the Ottertail
    Viewpoint and the Yoho west boundary from Monday to Saturday. Expect single
    lane alternating traffic and delays of up to 30 minutes. No work on Sundays
    or long weekends.

    Yoho National Park
    Emerald Lake Road repaving – Work will occur in May and June between the
    Emerald Lake Road/Trans Canada Highway Junction and the Emerald Lake
    parking lot. Working hours are 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Saturday, with
    no work on Sundays or long weekends. Expect single lane alternating traffic
    and delays of up to 30 minutes.

ROUND TABLE

  • Yoga retreat May 13-17 has been cancelled
  • Enola Nygren is interested in partnering with FRAA to host a 2 day retreat in August
  • Mikki’s memorial is at the Church May 1st
  • Kathryn will set up the pickle ball court
  • Add Train whistle-sounding to the FUB Agenda
  • Jeremy will take a look at new security system and if training is required will train others

Field Town Hall Meeting March 14, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting, March 14, 2016

In Attendance: Kathryn Cameron, Jo- Anne Arnold, Ellen Francis, Mike VanDerVeen, Karla Gaffney, Lloyd LaFrance, Karen Nickurak, Patrick Cais, Sophie Cais, Sally Watson, Kim Chapman, Kat MacNeill, Tyra Cameron, Ryan Cameron, Deb Bancroft, Mike Finn

Excused: Craig Chapman, Jeremy Schmidt, Karen Schmidt, Claudia Harding, Tanje Baker

  1. FRAA Report

1.1 Yoho Blow Days – Jan 29, 30, 31

Great event. Thanks to all the volunteers and participants for a very fun weekend.

Next year is the 40th Anniversary – based on a Pierre Lemire photograph from 1977. We will celebrate 40 Years of Blowing on Feb 3, 4, and 5 in 2017.

1.2 Kicking Horse Ski Club Dinner was Feb 13 – delicious and successful.

6 years ago in 2010 we thanked Marilyn and Denise for their last year of managing track setting in Yoho National Park through the work of the Kicking Horse Ski Club. How times change. Kudos to the Kicking Horse Ski Club organizers and track setting team for all the work they do. Skiing opportunities have been outstanding this year – in spite of the warm, loving arms of El Nino – with the addition of track set on the Yoho Valley Road and Monarch, and continue to be good!

1.3 Upcoming events to look forward to – mark your calendars

Monday, March 28 – Easter Celebrations at the Community Hall: Bunny Hop and Brunch. Check the poster on the bulletin board for details. FRAA will provide ham; participants asked to bring potluck brunchy foods.

Monday, April 25 – FRAA and FCC Regular Meeting (formerly known as In Camera Meeting)

Wednesday, May 4 – Field Utility Board and Liaison Meeting

Monday, May 16 – Town Hall Meeting

Sunday, May 30 – Spring Fling, Dance and Welcome to summer staff

Celebration of Field Elementary School – Date TBA. Discussing weekend before last day of school; consultation with Madame Rebecka and PAC suggested.

Friday, July 1 – Canada Day. We need floats and more participants!

Ellen: Is there a calendar online people can refer to? Yes, there is a Calendar of events on our website www.field.bc.ca but it may not be up to date.

  1. FCC Report

2a. Chair Report

2a.1 Caroline’s last meeting was one year ago. Ellen started March 23, almost her 1st anniversary as Townsite Manager.

2a.2 Meeting with Canadian Pacific on February 23,2016.

Kathryn and Craig met with Mike LoVecchio, Director Government Affairs, Karen Cathcart, CSRD Director, Alex Kolesh, Acting Parks Canada Superintendent and Ellen Francis, Parks Canada Townsite Manager. Thanks to Karen Cathcart for organizing the meeting.

Discussed leases and economic opportunities on CP land, land transfer possibility, train noise and trains blocking access to town.

Key discussion points:

  • Residential leases issued by CP follow their interpretation of BC Landlord and Tenants guidelines that recommend rental agreements not exceed three year terms. Apparently this guideline has changed but CP has not changed their policy. It’s difficult for buyers to secure a mortgage on a property when the lease term is so short.
  • Two vacant CP building zoned commercial or institutional are the Telegraph Building and the Railway Station. Friends of Yoho are in discussion with CP Realty about potential use of the Telegraph Building. Railway Station has designated Heritage Status; building is in state of disrepair.
  • Suggestion by Parks Canada that CP and Government of Canada examine possibility of land transfer of lands no longer used by CP operations to Parks Canada.
  • Moving the Crew Changeover location from the bottom of Wall Street to the crossing seen as viable option to reduce wait times at the crossing.
  • Transportation Safety Board (TSB) reviewed crossing at entrance to Field and feels it is in fact a public crossing, not a private crossing as designated by CP. Based on TSB analysis, trains are now required by law to blow their whistle on approach to the crossing. There is a process to override that rule, but it involves a lot of time and paperwork. Parks Canada wants to hear if residents feel it is worth the time and energy. Please contact Elaine Lemieux.
  • CP Resthouse (bunkhouse) exists to provide proper rest for crews. Based on Collective Agreements that determine hours of work, the Field Resthouse will be used for years to come. Moving the crew changeover location from Field to Golden means adjusting schedules all the way down the line to the coast; this is not feasible.
  • 9000’ trains seems to be the standard. Longest siding in the Field Yard is 7400’. CP plans to extend the Leanchoil Siding, west of Field, to accommodate longer trains.

CP Police Dispatch number is 1 800 716 9132: Primary contact for residents when trains block the crossing for excess amount of time. Add this to your phone contacts.

Mike LoVecchio presented “In Your Community” to meeting attendees, an overview of CP safety commitments and responsibilities. The presentation is available on paper, from Kathryn.

2a.3 Film project – Growing Up In Field

No progress at this time.

2a.4 Hall Improvements

Completed cycle and final report will be sent in this week. Last step in final report is to write a media release to submit to local media.

2b. Discussion Items – Field Utility Board and Liaison Meeting March 4, 2016 was cancelled by Parks Canada so we missed the opportunity to talk about issues important to the community.

2b.1 Field Elementary School

School board voted to close the school at their last meeting. Does Parks Canada have plans to use the school if the School District closes it as an elementary school? Idea that the College of the Rockies and Burgess Shale Geoscience Foundation may team up for a Learning Centre does not look possible at this time. There is a real potential here for something to happen – not for profit or commercial.

Parks is talking with school district now that the closure is official. Parks will lay put some possible ideas, options and alternatives; the building does not have to be removed. Who should own the building? Current operation renting space in the building is not compliant with current lease.

Does Parks Canada plan to lease the building for offices? Ellen could not speak to this at this time.

Concerns with future of playground equipment / gym use. Discussed keeping the playground in town, but would require a group to assume responsibility for it, assume liability, do maintenance and regular inspections. This is a long-term commitment. If anyone is interested in taking on responsibility for the playground equipment please contact FRAA or FCC. Also discussed moving it to Field VRC. Parks Canada is interested as long as there’s room for it. Would need to get a quote from Blue Imp for relocation costs. Building Permit required from Development Office to move the structure.

2b.2 Yoho Trading Post Site

Council is disappointed with the current operation at the site; it is at the entrance to the village and gives Field the appearance of a derelict community. Would like to hear from Parks Canada if they have a timeline on the renovation project by current operator. Craig sent an email to Gary Smith, asking for information about renovations and reopening date but has not received a response. Parks Canada said there have no development permits issued for the site. Current lease continues in overhold. There may be contamination on site that will need to be mitigated before a call for proposals can be issued. No timeline has been identified for mitigation or a call for proposals. Parks Canada will ask current operator for opening dates for 2016 season.

Council feels that Parks Canada set the precedent by closing Field Visitor Centre in the winter. Will the Townsite Manager champion reopening the Field Visitor Centre year-round on behalf of the community? No, that decision is the responsibility of the Visitor Experience (VE) manager and outside the responsibility of Townsites.

Some residents feel there is not a clear policy on compliance with lease regulations. There have been incidents where a leaseholder was advised they could not proceed with a small change on their property until they had received permission from the Development Office, but the work actually did not need a development permit. Other leaseholders have not developed their lots, years after purchase. What is the policy on time lines for development after assuming a lease or signing a new lease? Ellen to find out and share the guidelines.

2b.3 Status of Lot Release in Field

Is development of the lots identified in the Town Plan realistic? If not, how will this play out in the Town Plan review? When will the review commence?

Parks Canada has identified seven lots in the Town Plan that have been released and are suitable for building. Contact the Townsite Office if you are interested in developing, or pass the information on if you know someone else who is interested.

Council requested a list of lots that are available for sale now.

Community Plan Review not scheduled at this point. Parks Canada interested in different framework for reviewing Community Plans. No details available.

2b.3 Staff Housing

What is the status of the FII project to move staff accommodation into Field and close the bunkhouse at Boulder Creek?

Parks Canada continues to examine options that meet demographic needs. No definite time line on consultation process to refine parameters, however that may take place in the fall. Considering all options including renovations or addition to the existing bunkhouse at Boulder Creek or building in the community of Field. Currently, Parks Canada is conduction an energy assessment of the Superintendent’s Residence; developing renovation plan that will respect the Federal Heritage Building designation and incorporate green technologies. This renovation will not be patchwork. Several other Parks Canada residences are getting upgrades to bathrooms, and asbestos abatement is underway in one residence now.

2b.4 Minutes from Field Utility Board and Liaison Meetings

None received to date for meetings in June and December 2015, and January 2016. When can Council expect to receive the minutes of these meetings? Parks Canada committed to having the minutes distributed in two weeks.

2b.5 Full Time Fire Chief and Sustainability of Emergency Services in Yoho NP

With the school closure we may see further changes in our community demographic, with fewer options for staffing volunteer positions on Field Fire and Rescue.

Parks Canada looking at recruitment options. Meeting with Field Fire and Rescue Chief to set terms for contract for next fiscal year. Also exploring recruitment and training used by Lake Louise Fire and Rescue; may be opportunity to liaise.

Council feels that sustainability of emergency services in the community and Yoho National Park are closely tied to jobs and housing in the community; it’s part of a bigger picture – community sustainability.

2b.6 Operating Budget and 3rd Quarter Report

Council has requested a full financial report from Parks Canada for operating and maintaining the community of Field, revenues and expenses. Council is curious to know how much the community is subsidized by Parks Canada.

Parks Canada can share that information. Finance Department is wrapping up year-end so not able to pull the information together until the new fiscal year. This request represents additional duties for Parks Canada staff and needs to include adequate timelines to complete the task.

Council also requests clarification on cost allocations for Field and Lake Louise as mentioned in our meeting of January 20, 2016. Can residents expect the freeze on cost increases to continue into the 2016/2017 operating year?

Parks Canada found anomalies in how costs were allocated to Field and Lake Louise, and feels that it would be unfair to expect Lake Louise rate payers to subsidize Field rate payers by allocating all overtime to Lake Louise operations and none to Field. At this time rate increases are not anticipated since Field has reached its maximum load. The 3rd Quarter report is available and Ellen will send it to FCC. Ellen will also confirm rates for 2016/2017 Operating Budget.

2b.7 Hoodoo Creek Campground

Is Parks Canada open to proposals from private entrepreneurs to operate a campground at Hoodoo Creek? Has Parks Canada approached potential operators to consider operating a campground at Hoodoo Creek?

Parks Canada is not actively pursuing partnerships. Visitor Experience camping offers are focused on the Yoho Valley: Monarch, Kicking Horse and Takakkaw Falls campgrounds. There will be Federal Infrastructure Investments planned for Monarch and Kicking Horse in the second round of spending. Hoodoo Creek is not on Parks Canada’s radar.

Ellen to provide the most recent list of projects that have been announced.

2b.8 Coffee with Superintendent

Council asked for potential dates at the January 20, 2016 FUB; none have been provided.

Parks Canada wants to revisit purpose of Coffee with the Superintendent. Going forward, how can the superintendent best use her time to engage the community?

From a community perspective, it has been an informal opportunity for stakeholders and residents to discuss ideas and get to know each other. It seemed to be productive and informative. There hasn’t been Coffee with the Superintendent for over six months, and Council feels that we have no engagement with the Superintendent at this time. We are partners, but feel that we are left out of whatever conversations about Field are taking place.

Ellen assured us that is not the case; she is here to bring things forward to the Superintendent. Parks Canada wants to work together and be productive, and do it in ways that make certain the Superintendent’s time spent here is the done in the best format. Ellen proposed a meeting to discuss what that format would look like.

2b.9 Warning signs at Water Treatment Facility

Is this the full mitigation for the safety of Field’s drinking water?

Parks Canada is consulting with National Office staff to determine security measures in other venues. Updates to follow.

2b.10 Snow Clearing

Snow clearing in town has been contentious this winter, and Council is concerned about the Townsite Manager’s suggestion the mail truck not drive into Field on snow days. Services, including mail service, in the community are important to community function. Other deliveries also need to be completed.

2b.11 Summer Rock Scaling Plans

Currently moving rock from storage area at Alberta/BC border to Mannix and Niblock pits. Material will be used for other construction. This summer rock scaling will take place on the rock face across from the Spiral Tunnels Viewpoint so the Day Use Area and viewpoint will be closed until June 29, then open for the busy summer season until September 7, then closed for rock scaling until November. Rock scaling will also happen at the west end of the park, from west of Finn Creek to east of Faeder Lake, on the rock face where trees were removed in spring 2015. Delays and operation details to follow.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

Presented by Sally Watson. Moved to accept by Kim; seconded by Kat. Files will be distributed with minutes of the meeting.

  1. RCMP Report – Tabled. No representative from RCMP at tonight’s meeting.
  1. Parks Canada

5a. Townsite Manager’s Report

5a.1 Lots currently available in Field – Addressed in item 2b.3

5a.2 Update from BC Hydro Hazard Tree Removal between Golden and Field – BC Hydro plans to remove hazard trees along the entire power line route this summer.

5a.3 Emergency Plan Update – Plans to consolidate existing plans. Discussion about need for concise instructions to flag personnel so Field residents and visitors can proceed if the road to Field and Emerald Lake is clear, and not impacted by the incident that closed the road.

5a.4 2017 Canada 150 Celebration – Planning meeting scheduled for March 23, 2016. Stakeholders have been invited. Parks Canada’s role is to bring communities and groups together to coordinate celebrations, with emphasis on shoulder season/less busy times of the year. Parks Canada is not spearheading events or opportunities, but acting more as facilitator.

5a.5 Town Walk About – Parks Canada staff takes notes and photos, compiles the list of items that need to be repaired and communicates with other departments. Field Community Council participates in an advisory capacity. Parks Canada will consolidate operational lists and circulate to Council.

5b. Highway Service Centre

5b.1 Damage to Tin and Plastic Recycling Bins – Damage to the hydraulic lifts on both bins means they cannot be used at all. Highway Service Center has ordered two replacement bins. Anticipate they will be delivered in about six weeks. In the meantime, residents have been directed to use tin and plastic recycling facilities in Lake Louise and Golden.

  1. Field Fire and Rescue – Tabled. Fire Chief is out of town.
  1. Round Table

7.1 Field Elementary School Fundraiser – Students will host a dinner and movie night at the school after spring break. PAC to send out details.

7.2 Karla Gaffney requested that Craig submit his resignation from council. Kathryn asked her to submit a letter to council outlining her concerns, and suggested that if Karla witnessed the event that prompted her request, then she needs to talk to the RCMP who are conducting an investigation. Otherwise, it is an incident that should not be discussed in public by people that were not present and do not have firsthand information.

Meeting adjourned at 9:20 pm.

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Meeting February 22, 2016

field-recreation-and-advisory-association-and-field-community-council-february-22-2016

Field Town Hall Meeting January 25, 2016

Field Town Hall Meeting January 25, 2016

In Attendance: Marilyn Toulouse, Bruce Bembridge, Karla Gaffney, Joanne Arnold, Travis Wert, Ellen Francis, Elaine Lemieux, Craig Chapman, Kathryn Cameron, Claudia Harding, Jeremy Schmidt, Sally Watson, Mike Vanderveen, Pierre Lemire, Sophie Cais, Ryan Cameron, Kim Chapman, Karen Schmidt, Lloyd Lafrance

  1. FRAA Report – Craig Chapman

Thanks everyone for coming out.

Great events recently:

  • The Friends of Yoho supper in December raised $3672. 34 and it was donated to the community for Hall Improvements. Thanks for the donation! Sally has been pricing stoves and fridges. We decided to apply for matching funds in next grant cycle to maximize our resources. Currently we have two grants on the go and want to wrap them up before engaging in another one.
  • Christmas Pot Luck and Skate with Santa were wonderful.
  • Upcoming events: Yoho Blow this weekend; next regular meeting February 22, 2016; next FUB March 4, 2016; next Town Hall Meeting March 14, 2016. Mark your calendars!

Yoho Blow – January 29, 30 and 31. Schedule posted on the Bulletin Board.

  • Interpretive Skating – Return event, anything goes so get your costume, music and routine ready for Friday night at 8:00 pm.
  • Minute to Win It – Challenges at the Hall Friday night.
  • Saturday night – Dance with DJ, encourage friends from Lake Louise to attend, shuttle arranged with Lake Louise Ski area to make two runs from Lake Louise with stops at Great Divide Lodge. No shuttle from Emerald Lake Lodge this year.
  • Bocce – All ten possible teams have signed up. $20 entry fee per team. Want to play? Register as an alternate player, to fill in as needed.
  • Human bowling – Suits ready to try on; all equipment assembled and ready to go. Be brave.
  • Scavenger hunt – sign up sheets will be at the Post Office for Friday start and participation throughout the weekend. Combination scavenger/treasure hunt with clues and hidden treasure to collect. Participation reward (involves French butter cream) and draw prize for winner.
  • Heritage Relay – Check bulletin board for details.
  • Hockey tournament – Rules posted on bulletin board. $20 entry fee per team.
  • Downhill Race – Cross country skis, downhill skis, Chariots, bikes all allowed! Important message to spectators this year: adults and kids – No Snowballs. It’s dangerous. We’ll enforce the message through conversations on Sunday. Suggested that we need to plan for a snowball fight next year.
  • Snow Sculpture Contest – Warm weather forecast for next few days so get started!
  • Jail and Bail – Bruce and Boomer have built an ice dungeon next to the Hall. You pay to put someone in the dungeon and they pay to get out. Puts the fun in fundraising!
  • Sunday Morning Ski – with Kicking Horse Ski Club coach Jessica, 10 am to noon with start from town, either Tally-Ho or Monarch.
  • Comfy setting in the hall for hanging out. If you have a comfy chair please bring it down to the Hall; we’ll move it out for the dance. Sign up sheets for volunteers tonight, or email Kim.
  1. FCC Report – Craig Chapman

Meeting with Mike Lovecchio, CP Rail Director of Government Affairs, arranged by Karen Cathcart, Area A CSRD Director, scheduled for February 23 at 6:00 pm to discuss leases and economic opportunities on CP Land, Telegraph Building and other issues. If you have something you would like brought to the table please forward to Craig.

School closure meeting scheduled for February 3, 2016. There have been no developments in town with ideas to date so it seems apparent that the school board vote will lead to a closure. Will transportation be discussed at the meeting? What it would take to not provide school bus service to Field? Equation is pretty much written. If the cost of providing transportation assistance to each family at 20 cents per kilometer is less than running the bus, then 8 students is the number. Small community school has not attracted people and there are not the jobs here to attract people either. Looking at the future, council has discussed what could happen to the building i.e. lease of usable space. Parks Canada currently leases space there and might want more office space. Burgess Shale Geoscience Foundation (BSGF) in cooperation with College of the Rockies could operate a Learning Centre. Craig met with Jon Dudley, Acting Chair for BSGF; definitely facing hard times as well because if school closes their rent agreement will change and they will loose use of the gym, major impacts on their livelihood and success. BSGF in communication with School District 6 on options. Could we fight for keeping gym? School lease with Parks is an unknown factor. Parks is examining where they can be involved. What does the community want? What could it look like in the future if there is need for a school in the future? Is this size needed i.e. that building and that place or is there another option? Resolution needs to take into account needs of current tenants and future school needs. What would be the flow? Keep meeting with school board? Board has to vote on closure before other possibilities can be determined. Lease has to comply with use. School district also has option to sell building as well. No step-by-step guide at this point. Rent? Sale? Both options involve lease, so Parks Canada holds final say. Burgess Shale cost concerns may be related to insurance costs. Utilities are only $12000 annually so not an expensive building to operate.

Yoho Trading Post site: Council understands that we must tread carefully when commenting on how businesses operate, but community is not keen on current operation. Council would like to see that site opened sooner rather than later to a call for proposals. Foundation lease is currently in overhold. Questions have gone to the Department of Justice for guidance; Ellen has asked for additional staff to deal with the site. Parks Canada wants to make certain that whatever is done there provides the opportunity for something really great to happen. This has been added to list of outstanding items. Probably will not be a quick fix. May be contamination issues on site that need to be mitigated; researching possibilities so it could be used by anyone.  Bruce expressed concern about the front line image for the community of Field. The Trading Post sits there boarded up with plywood. Is there something that can be done to make it look less derelict? The community has only one chance for a first impression. As a Parks Canada townsite, what do we want to say at the entry? No one is happy with the current presentation. Moving toward special year, 2017 and Canada’s 150 Birthday Celebrations, although every year is special.

Catholic Church: Karla Gaffney will address next meeting of council on February 22, 2016. Offer accepted August 19, 2015 but the final papers are not signed. Diocese and realtor are dumbfounded at the process. Purchasers have asked for alternate uses but received no feedback to date. Lease says place of worship. Other parties are interested in the church. Does Parks Canada have way to block moving the church? Not currently in consideration so there’s no need to discuss. Parks Canada will meet with Diocese and Karla. There are no final details at this time.

Hall Improvement Project: Chris Allen will purchase and install Wi-Fi and security systems for the hall. New acoustic panels have been delivered, and are ready to install. LED lighting has been installed inside and outside; well done Matt Morrison. Thank you for the great work. Banff Fire and Safety has installed the new fire panel and system, just waiting for panel cover. New soundboard has been returned, repaired and ready to go. Portable sound system is excellent.

  1. Treasurer’s Report – Sally Watson

It must have been Christmas because we spent a lot of money. Please see files attached to the email.

Kathryn moved to accept; Claudia seconded the motion.

  1. Parks Canada Townsite Manager’s Report – Ellen Francis

Would like to start with introductions; bringing other members from our team for residents to meet. As you know, we manage both townsites of Field and Lake Louise. Introduced: Elaine Lemieux, Realty and Municipal Officer; Joanne Arnold, Housing Coordinator, Mike Vanderveen, Highway Service Centre; Travis Wert, Asset Manager. Community members introduced themselves.

Canada 150 Celebration ideas for 2017: Government announced free visitation for parks in 2017; Parks Canada examining implications. Looking at Lake Louise and Field for offering: what do we want to achieve and how can we provide positive visitor experience? There will be meetings/discussions around principles, something new or special in shoulder or off seasons and ensure current offerings in high season are stellar. We will involve stakeholders, businesses, residents; invitations are forthcoming. Looking at what other venues are offering in Jasper, ID 9, Banff, and Canmore. Plans will coordinate so all events align. Time to start thinking about ideas as community or individuals. The intent is to bring people together but not control the conversation.

Snow removal: E-mail notifications working well. Snow removal more effective when vehicles are moved off street. Please communicate with Elaine, by email, any problems, and please offer solutions. Feedback welcome. Highways team has cleared bridge and currently hauling snow from in town. Please be patient when there are equipment failures; we are doing our best.

Federal Infrastructure Initiatives: Parks Canada is advancing projects internally but has nothing to offer publically at this time as per Ministerial Announcement guidelines. On the Yoho Bunkhouse project, we are defining accommodations by demographic needs. Parks Canada wants to provide suitable staff housing; working with an architect. Is there enough money for that project? Yes. With the new administration, there are many possibilities in Parks Canada as a whole and LLYK specifically.

Keeping the Community Clean: We have received reports of golf balls and dog feces left around town. Please clean up after your activities and after your pets. If you are not comfortable approaching people, please correspond with Elaine by e-mail.

Superintendent’s Residence: Frozen pipes lead to flooding in early December. Significant improvements are planned, with access to FHBRO funding. Great report on the house itself if anyone is interested in reading it, but generally, because of heritage status the current carbon footprint of the building is horrendous. Parks Canada and FHBRO hope to use this building as a heritage model operated by green technology in ways that have not been available. Building has to be livable and lived in, and Parks Canada wants it to be used. Can it be used for Parks Canada housing only? It could be used by other organizations that make it a showcase of green technology where it is potentially open to the public. Use of the facility is in discussion.

Budget: The budget was presented at Field Utility Board on Wednesday, January 20, 2016. The quarterly report from April to September was delivered to Councilors tonight. Still waiting for some information to complete last quarterly report.

Outstanding Items List: We will continue to review items on the list.

Remote Water Meter Change: In order to provide efficient service, utilities staff will schedule appointments for remaining houses. Sally’s new meter not reading any use. Elaine will look into it. Some meters have malfunctioned. Residents have asked that notices not be taped to doors with packing tape; it pulls the paint off.

Water Reservoir Site Signs: Make suggestions if you feel there is more that needs to be done to enhance security at the site. Council feels that there needs to be better security. Significant trail use now is obvious. Video surveillance suggested by RCMP would provide information if the locks are cut again, and use of that popular trail would not be curtailed.

Emergency Plan: Parks Canada continues to review and change the document. We will consult with the community when ready.

Lot release: Potentially there is one lot possible to release.

3a. Asset Manager’s Report – Travis Wert

Mount Dennis Slope Stabilization: monitoring program in place for spring review. Not expecting significant data until thaw starts in spring.

2nd Avenue Drainage: Gathered anecdotal evidence and geotechnical observations. Spring observations critical to monitor drainage from old reservoir. Estimate that Parks Canada will have to redo all work done on 2nd avenue to make drainage better than it is now.

Parks Canada Reports Discussion

Snow removal

Bruce: We need a grader. Speed plows and loaders don’t do as good a job.

Mike: Actually, the grader has been here fairly often this winter. Some days we send in the plow; it leaves a windrow. Then we send in the grader; it leaves a windrow. The loader removes windrows. Then the snow is hauled – requires loader and trucks. The equipment that is used in the village is based on conditions, resources and need.

Karla: We used to have a one-ton equipped with a plow but we haven’t seen it recently.

Mike: That was an old fire truck from Kootenay; it was worn out, has been surplused and auctioned off. Basically, a single axle truck is not as effective here because it needs more weight to negotiate the snow and hills in Field.

Karla: Are you entertaining contracting Gottler more often?

Ellen: Gottler operates out of Golden; they will be asked to do emergency routes when highways team is over stretched and not able to come into Field. Gottler does not do regular or fine work. Townsites pays the costs, and is used only for Field not for Lake Louise.

Mike: We are testing an attachment for our plows that works like a grader.

Craig: Parks Canada used to have a bobcat that did fine work like removing windrows and clearing around fire hydrants. It’s not used anymore.

Mike: Bobcat belonged to technical services, not highways and the service was provided by a willing Parks Canada utilities staff member who has since retired.

Kathryn: Thanks for leaving the snow on Stephen Creek road for the Downhill Race this weekend.

Canada 150 Celebration ideas for 2017

Karla: Will grant money available for events?

Ellen: Let’s keep in touch and see what is possible.

Craig: There is partnership potential for Yoho and Field; not a lot of deep pockets here but lots of heart.

  1. Fire Chief’s Report – submitted by Jamie Harbottle, presented by Claudia Harding

Callouts (November to Present): 20 MVA (4 of which we had No Response, Lake Louise Fire Responded). Two of the call-outs involved fatalities: one near Yoho West Gate and the second near rock work at Sherbrooke Creek on the Big Hill. There was 1 Vehicle Fire, fully involving a Grey Hound Bus.

New Recruits: Maggie and Tina are now Probationary Fire Fighters. Tina is planning on returning in the spring.

Rescue Truck: Currently in Radium. Estimate another 1-2 weeks until paperwork goes through.

Equipment: New portable pool and fire hydrant adaptors; this will improve fire fighting capability in remote areas.

In-House Training: Auto Extrication techniques.

Callout Turn Out: Generally ok. 9-5 on weekdays is a problem with very few fire fighters in town.

Ellen: Working on ways to recruit people that don’t live here but work here and would be available to respond to call-outs during the day.

  1. Round Table

Karla: New magazine Canadian Rockies Annual, produced by Crowfoot Media. High quality, soft cover annual, archival quality mountain culture magazine with striking visuals and outstanding design. May 2016 release dare, advertising closes February 15. For more information visit: http://crowfootmedia.com Crowfoot Media rate cards and info attached to this e-mail as well.

Kim: Thank you to Kicking Horse Ski Club for the groomed dog-friendly trail to the switchbacks on the Yoho Valley Road this year. Great job! We’re looking forward to the annual Ski Club supper on Saturday, February 13, 2016.

Meeting adjourned at 8:50 pm.

Field Recreation and Advisory Association and Field Community Council Regular Meeting January 11, 2016

field-recreation-and-advisory-association-and-field-community-council-regualr-meeting-january-11-2016